New Convertible Top Not Closing Correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Convertible Top Not Closing Correctly

So I recently installed a new top on my 90 vert. Had a few general questions for any other vert guys with new top knowledge.

First off, everytime I go to store the top away it won't fold up correctly. And I'm not talking about the tensioner straps not doing their job, I just mean that the cloth is just entirely too stiff to fold in places it should fold.

Also, it seems that I have too much slack in the top on both sides on the outer edge of the front of the roof. Any ideas on tightening that other than unglueing the front strip and repoisitoning that?

Dear God, please let someone with a convertible understand what I'm trying to say. Amen

Do you have pix or even a vid of whats going on...visually? What brand top did you get?

COTM

Comment

well, could it be the canvas still need breaking it. Until the fabric is trained to fold in those areas?
      sigpic

Comment

I can try and get a few pictures this weekend. It's very annoying

Comment

the fold up sounds normal.
          you have to really stuff that sucker in yeah?

did you install new top in direct sun on a warm day? if not then it could sag...

otherwise yeah, pull off repeat

Comment

Yea, really have to stuff it in there.

I did the install at night...See those are the helpful tips that I wish I had read...

Thanks for the info though

Comment

yeah sunlight makes it tight, so when you stretch it and the fabric is already tight, its like extra tight!
              night is bad, too cold/humid, humid really bad.

no worries, just do over.

and the stuffing in is just cuz its fresh, so kinda like poping a girls cherry, its a good thing

Comment

I think Devon meant that the sunlight/warmth allows the canvas top to stretch while installing the top. Also, there are metal cables that run down the sides of the top where the top and side windows meet. If the cable is not there or if it is stretched then the top isn't being stretched properly by the cable. If the metal cable is there you can test for stretched cables by attempting to put your fingers in between the top and the frame that rests above the door glass. If you can pull the canvas away from the frame with the top closed then you need new cables and that will fix most of your saggy canvas issues.

Oh and if you bought the ebay special top, the cables they sent you are most likely to short and broke the first time you closed your top. Thats how I know about the cable issues. They are relatively cheap from the stealerships.
                450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Comment

Alright cool, I'll give that a shot as well. Thanks

Nothing like owning a 21 year old convertible.

Comment

Not that I am trying to jack this thread, but has anyone converted e30 vert top to manual top when the motor breaks? Wondering what is involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X