Opinion on Caliper Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on Caliper Scripting

I am buying a Porsche Big Brake Kit to prepare for the coming S50. Question, I'm buying 993 Twin Turbo Calipers and Rotors with SS lines, and etc..etc... for all four wheels. Many old e3s members should remember my thread before e3s ended. My question is if I get the 993 Twin Turbo rotors and red calipers, is it stupid to have the Porsche script on the calipers? I saw Randy Sparre's 993 TT black calipers with the Porsche scripting years ago and ever since I thought it was so cool that he had the Porsche brakes on his e30 and I told myself that I want to do that one day if i had the need and the means. Opinions? Good idea, bad idea?

332iS R.I.P.

i think if you got it, flaunt it

representing what company made you awesome brakes is fine. i would definately leave the script on there to show off.

If you made the wrong choice and in the end wanted the script to be on there, i think you'd feel real regretful.

NOW, if you had stock brakes and had "Porsche" written on them while being painted red......that be a different story." :? RICE

but no, if you get 993 TT brakes, you have to keep the lettering on....... 8)

- - Wingnut

Comment

and when people see your car, they can say...

"OH SH*T!! HE HAS PORSCHE BRAKES!"
      Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
      '99 M3 / Track Car
      '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
      '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Where did you get the brakes from? Was the a conversion kit? I for sure need bigger brakes and I've experienced Big Red's first hand, so if I could get those for my car it would be AMAZING! Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
        -Ted

Comment

I haven't got the kit yet, I'm trying to order it with the options I want.
          One of their U.S. distributers is www.ultimategarage.com but they are not being helpful for me. I'm trying to get the 993tt calipers in red with the white Porsche script on them because the Mov'It kit uses stock 993tt rotors and calipers. Ultimate Garage is trying to charge me $200 extra to send me a plain caliper and saying I have to get them scripted myself. How can that be if Mov'It uses the OEM Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Calipers in the kit for the E30??

P.S. You'll need 17" wheels for the kit and they don't make anything smaller (obviously).

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Leave it. dont ruin a good thing
            FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

So this is M3 only? They don't have a 4lug kit?

Comment

Regardless, keep the scripting off.

Ford mustang injectors are CLEARLY better than stock, but i don't see ford stickers all over the e30 when people swap.

The M3 suspension setup is clearly better than the regular e30s, and when people do the full swap, you don't see their cars flaunting an M3 badge.

It's cool to have porsche brakes on a car, but if it isn't a porsche, it should not say porsche.

If i put an S14 in my car, can i put an M3 badge of my front grille?

Porsche brakes are *essentially* just glorified brembos anyway. What can you do with porsche brakes that you can't do with brembos on your e30? Shit, it's STILL overkill even with an S50.

You told me you love the way your M3 brakes feel. How do you think they would feel on your soon-to-be S50 powered 400lb lighter e30???
                Nick

87 325 5MT
                02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
                  So this is M3 only? They don't have a 4lug kit?

Looks like a 4-lug setup to me along with the 5 lug for M3's
                  Below the radar...

Comment

That pic looks hella photoshopped...

Comment

No No, I have an E36 M3 and an E30 325. Mov'It makes the front and rear kit for regular e30's.

Nick, you gotta use correct comparisons if you're going to compare anything at all. If you put an S14 engine in a non-bmw, are you going to go through all the extra trouble of having custom valve cover and intake manifolds that dont say BMW M-Power?? Don't forget you'd have to get a non-bmw oil cap too..... Come on...lets use some of that brain power that the human brain can generate. There's a huge difference when it comes to leaving a LABEL on a PRODUCT and putting a badge on the front or rear decklids of a car to make it look like a model it isnt. You're comparison was CLEARLY FLAWED in its reasoning. Can't compare apples to oranges.

ADDITION: And if you say and engine is totally different from brakes, its not. One is used to make the car go, one is used to make it stop. Two major aspects of an automobile. No matter what engine you put in whatever car, no one would go through the extra trouble and cost to put a label on it that it isnt. Every single engine conversion I've seen on an E30 BMW has had the correct valve cover and etc.. of the engine that they used for the conversion. Talk about Mis-Badging, that's what you're trying to do. You say put an ///M badge on a car that isn't, so why should I put a mis-leading label on my brakes... :roll:

Edit #2: Nick, you say that I should just go with the E36 M3 brakes then on my 400lbs lighter e30? Should I have the ///M logo that's engraved on all M3 calipers somehow filled in or erased because my car isn't an ///M??? Hey buddy, you gotta think these thing through before you post 'em... I think I'm gonna have to keep your wheels quite a while longer as penalty..

Josh, the picture isn't photoshopped (referring to the kit on the car anyway), it is a real 993tt setup on the e30. Except that particular picture has the Porsche Script "redded out." If you look at the other pics on Mov'It's site, that car has the Porsche Script (obviously because its a 993tt caliper), but Mov'It redded out that particular pic probably to show the $200 option to have plain calipers, yes, you have to pay $200 more to take off the Porsche Script.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Back sheeba Back.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

Chris, what kind of car do you drive?

End of story.

Corvette brakes are extremely good as well, would you leave corvette scripting on it? Better yet, lets say that chevy decided they want "CHEVY" on the brakes, would you still do it?

Putting non BMW brakes made by another automobile manufacturer in a BMW is the same as putting a non BMW engine in an e30.

For example take the ZO6 engine for example. Sure its a great engine, and the conversion is impressive, but everyone still goes back to the fact that it's a non-bmw engine in an e30.

Simple as that.

While you're sporting my wheels, walk around back and take a look at the badging on your trunk, i think you forgot what you drive.

Don't argue with me, or i'll come to your house "stang-style" and take of you real quick. or maybe i'll throw your bottlecaps on and come over in style...

TTYL buddy ;)
                          Nick

87 325 5MT
                          02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Well.... we're gonna see what I'll do. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I'd be better off paying an extra $400 total in having plain red calipers, then I'd have to shell out god knows how much more after I got the brake kit to have some kind of script on there (Brembo for example). I am just gonna work on getting the kit IN MY HANDS first, then go from there.

Hey Nick, if I use the 19# mustang injectors on my e30, should I repaint the injectors so they dont say Ford? I suppose I could paint them so they say BMW....yea, that'd be a good idea.. :roll:

For those who don't know, you can't use the 19# mustang injectors on an eta because of the difference in injector impedence. The above statement was included for recreational purposes...

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by C ///M
                              One of their U.S. distributers is www.ultimategarage.com but they are not being helpful for me. I'm trying to get the 993tt calipers in red with the white Porsche script on them because the Mov'It kit uses stock 993tt rotors and calipers. Ultimate Garage is trying to charge me $200 extra to send me a plain caliper and saying I have to get them scripted myself. How can that be if Mov'It uses the OEM Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Calipers in the kit for the E30??
                              if only u met the guy in real life...

Comment

Working...
                              X