Window trim removal....Yea another thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window trim removal....Yea another thread

I referenced this write up however I didn't see any mention of how area "H" comes off? This looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass, and I'll probably practice on a pick and pull car (or if they come out nicely buy them) first. But any recommendations?

If it's a pop out window.

It's pretty much part of the window.

Perfect time to swap to pop-outs if you don't have them!

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

LOL, to be honest I've never really looked. I know my red one had pop outs, something tells me this one doesn't. So if it's not a popout, it's basically part of the window and it will come out with it? Or do I pry it up like "E" after the window is removed?

Fuck, I wish I could just paint E & H but they wouldn't match the rest. Do it once, do it right I guess.

Comment

I haven't the foggiest. Everything I've had has had pop-outs. So I know they come off with the pop-out windows.

:D

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

you have to pull the window and mask it right?

Comment

if your car is a 1990 or later you do not have pop-outs, and that piece is basically riveted onto the body.

that was the only piece of trim i painted on the car - i didn't look into "safe removal" much, but you may be able to grind out the rivets from behind once you remove the the trim inside the car.
            8380 Laboratories
            M3 Champs Poster

Comment

that peice on my "sedan" was the same as the one in front. Lift up, but it could be different
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Cody - you will take the window out of the frame with the trim still attached to the window ... once it is out you can remove and replace any ruined trim. I just did this ... word of wisdom is not to remove the trim prior to removing the window as it bends easily.
                Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by 8380 Labs View Post
                  if your car is a 1990 or later you do not have pop-outs, and that piece is basically riveted onto the body.

that was the only piece of trim i painted on the car - i didn't look into "safe removal" much, but you may be able to grind out the rivets from behind once you remove the the trim inside the car.
                  it's not rivetted but its part of the B pillar trim and frame that holds the glass in. It cannot be removed while the glass is still in there

Russ, if your car is a 1990+ and if you try to mess with it, I guarantee you are going to eff up that paint job of yours. ask me how i know. There is a paint edge because your car (like mine) was painted with that window on. It's the weak point.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                    Cody - you will take the window out of the frame with the trim still attached to the window ... once it is out you can remove and replace any ruined trim. I just did this ... word of wisdom is not to remove the trim prior to removing the window as it bends easily.
                    I have a sedan.

I am having problems with peice "I." I have the top clips off but I can't get the bottom part off. Any clues?
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      it's not rivetted but its part of the B pillar trim and frame that holds the glass in. It cannot be removed while the glass is still in there

Russ, if your car is a 1990+ and if you try to mess with it, I guarantee you are going to eff up that paint job of yours. ask me how i know. There is a paint edge because your car (like mine) was painted with that window on. It's the weak point.

This. You remove the window, seals, and the whole external window frame together, then remove the frame from the seal.
                      I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Working...
                      X