intake manifold and valve cover repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake manifold and valve cover repaint

hey everyone, im a bodyman and been wanting to become more active on the forums and post more threads just to help everybody out and share my work.. anyway, i grabbed some high temp duplicolor spray cans from advanced auto parts and did a complete repaint job on my intake manifold and valve cover to glossy black. im sure theres similar posts like this but heres mine:

i dont care what anyone thinks... had to add my country flag :)

and finally...
    Last edited by palimuin; 02-08-2013, 01:09 AM.

Looks great! Makes me want to repaint mine

Comment

What's the easiest way to clean an old dirty manifold? I have mine out right now, I took so wire brushes to it but most of it Still has a yellow tint to it..

Comment

isn't your country the US?
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

last time i checked orginilly pure 100% palestinian lol ;)

Comment

Originally posted by noahb View Post
            What's the easiest way to clean an old dirty manifold? I have mine out right now, I took so wire brushes to it but most of it Still has a yellow tint to it..
            believe me took some time to clean my dirty manifold too.. u just gotta clean the hell out of it whatever it takes lol.. i used wire brush, sand paper and scuff pads with plenty of degreaser/brake cleaner and continued hosing down and repeating and the end just dried everything up scuffed it real quick and hit it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by palimuin View Post
              last time i checked orginilly pure 100% palestinian lol ;)
              But you live in America?

Comment

Originally posted by nomansfriend View Post
                But you live in America?
                So fucking what?
                -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by palimuin View Post
                  believe me took some time to clean my dirty manifold too.. u just gotta clean the hell out of it whatever it takes lol.. i used wire brush, sand paper and scuff pads with plenty of degreaser/brake cleaner and continued hosing down and repeating and the end just dried everything up scuffed it real quick and hit it ;)
                  Yea. It's amazing how much oil can get deep into aluminum. I watched a pro welder, doing a repair to my oil pan, and there was just burnt oil coming out of the metal for ever.

So when you go to paint m20 parts - unless you prep it for ever, the paint will just flake off 2 months. You really have to get aggressive. Next time I do it I'm going to use acid, and etch it before paint.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

does anyone have suggestions on what products to use on the intake manifold? Mine isn't terribly caked on, and wanted to avoid having to repaint it....Simple Green?
                    www.instagram.com/snwmble
                    #snwmble

Current:
                    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

"purple power" is very aggressive and can eat into the aluminum a bit(if you're going to paint - that can be a good thing) - but if you want an aluminum look without painting it, I'd use simple green. How aggressive these cleaners are depends on temperature as well.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        "purple power" is very aggressive and can eat into the aluminum a bit(if you're going to paint - that can be a good thing) - but if you want an aluminum look without painting it, I'd use simple green. How aggressive these cleaners are depends on temperature as well.
                        Awesome thank u! Safe to use a wire brush? Wasn't sure if there was some paint coating on the manifold or not
                        www.instagram.com/snwmble
                        #snwmble

Current:
                        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I've used wire brushes on my mani and valve cover and never had any damage done. I just finished the first part of my valve cover repaint and for prep I had it sand blasted. After I got it back it was almost a shame to paint it it looked so good.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeaa wire brush is fine trust me its a rough dirty process but once everything is cleaned up nicely and painted after couple coats it should look like a beauty

Comment

Looks good. I put a lot of time into mine, but after working on the car/removing and installing/ and whatnot the paint still chips with good prep and clear. If I had the bills I would just powdercoat. But even with the chips, still looks better then a dirty ass intake.

Comment

Working...
                              X