bumper tuck question. its drilled but not moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bumper tuck question. its drilled but not moving

I tried to tuck my rear bumper last night without success, first shock I drilled the gas released and fluid drained, second shock the gas released but no fluid came out. I drilled it 3 times anduch deeper than the first but this one side is still rebounding and the shock is still functioning.

Did you back into something solid? I went to the back of an old strip mall and backed up to a wall (after covering the bumper with moving blanket) and put it in reverse and gave it a tap.
    sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Some of the shocks are filled with powder or some shit. My rears were gas filled but my fronts weren't. Just go to the junkyard and snag some.
      1987 325is - S52

Comment

Ya one side went in just fine, but backing into a wall it compressed and rebounded right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
          Did you back into something solid? I went to the back of an old strip mall and backed up to a wall (after covering the bumper with moving blanket) and put it in reverse and gave it a tap.
          Brick wall will fix that shit right up.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Sorry I was on my phone so being kind of short.

I have drilled both sides, backed into a concrete wall with a friend watching, one side tucked fine, the other side only compressed the shock and as soon as I pulled out it rebounded right back. I've drilled it 3 times so kind of confused as to what to do.

Comment

Drill until you see fluid. wear eye protection.

Comment

The fluid will FUCK you up and send you to the hospital if you inhale it.
                sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                1991 318is - Sold
                1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

The shocks should all be filled with fluid, not gas, so once the seal is penetrated there's nothing to give it any more pressure. As others have said, drill until you see fluid or I guess until the bit jump through, then back it up.

If you really did have a persisting issue, back it up against a wall, drill a new hole all the way through and put a screw or bolt through. That'll hold it when you pull away from the wall
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ButtJuice View Post
                    The fluid will FUCK you up and send you to the hospital if you inhale it.
                    Fore real? Isn't it just like a hydraulic fluid or something?
                    sigpic

Comment

I had this same problem back in the day. Even tried the bump into wall technique. Turned out the PO got in a fender bender (I guess) and popped one shock previously. Then it was pulled back out and tack welded open. Eventually I found the welds on part of the shock you can't easily see. So I pulled the shock out and took a hacksaw to the welds and voila. It pushed right in
                      98 M3/4/5

Comment

On my rear bumper shocks white sheddings came out. Backed into a wall with a few towels and both popped in. It can be loud. I thought I broke the wall.
                        Now on my front, I unbolted them from the car, drilled, and a quick pressure of oil squirted everywhere. Luckily I was wearing sunglasses and had my mouth closed.

Biggest tip: shorten the shock while the bumper is on the car. I shortened them under the car with a jack and I wasn't able to screw the bolts back on on reinstall. Horrible mistake! Had to buy new shocks.
                        -I drilled about 5+ holes on each shock because they wouldn't budge with 2 or 3.
                        Good luck.

Comment

the pin/needle in the shock was bent.. so i had a hard time tucking one of the shock's but i got it out! :)

Comment

Working...
                          X