black exterior trim restoring tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black exterior trim restoring tips.

86 325...So my mirrors are all faded, turning grey, and the rear bumper black part, the texture is coming off and turing grey any ideas on how the bring the texture back and color?

Trim paint from SEM

Sent from my GS4 Active
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Paint won't fix them. For the black trim on early cars, use Classic Trimcoat's rubber rebuilder kit.

How to clean oxidized aluminum by Paul Miller Aluminum BMW oxidation on anodized exterior moldings on BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and all cars with faded anodized aluminum.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        Paint won't fix them. For the black trim on early cars, use Classic Trimcoat's rubber rebuilder kit.

http://classictrimcoat.com/rubber-rebuilder-kit.html
        That, might work for mine, but mine, kind of feels like sand paper were is wasn't removed almost like line-x for truck beds not durable like bed liner, its not bed liner I know for sure, on the bumper both front and rear, and were its fallen off its smooth, with I like that but not sure how I'd remove the sand paper like stuff, was thinking of doing plasti dip, or like a rustoleum rubber coating, and paint it if I need to.

Comment

The piece that goes across Klaus' rear bumper was like that when I bought him - looked and felt like sandpaper. After enough applications the Classic Trimcoat stuff will make it smooth again, since the process fills the tiny holes with the product. Check out his build thread for more pics and info.

Comment

http://classictrimcoat.com/rubber-rebuilder-kit.html
            That stuff is trick!
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Anyone know how many applications it takes to get the bumper covers smooth like a baby's bum again? Mine are rough and sandpapery too, was thinking about replacing them. They are expensive, but if this works...

Comment

Paint won't fix them.
                I'll have to 100% disagree with this because I painted my wiper arms, mirrors, door trim, door handles, B and C pillars, and even rocker panels with Duplicolor satin black trim paint. It all looks a ton better than before and nothing has wrinkled, peeled, cracked, or fallen off.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike30e View Post
                  Anyone know how many applications it takes to get the bumper covers smooth like a baby's bum again? Mine are rough and sandpapery too, was thinking about replacing them. They are expensive, but if this works...
                  Depends on how deeply pitted they are. I'd guess I did the process 6 or 8 times on Klaus' rear bumper trim. At 3 coats each that's 24 individual coats and it could stand some more. It goes on very thin though.

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                  I'll have to 100% disagree with this because I painted my wiper arms, mirrors, door trim, door handles, B and C pillars, and even rocker panels with Duplicolor satin black trim paint. It all looks a ton better than before and nothing has wrinkled, peeled, cracked, or fallen off.
                  Of course trim paint works for those pieces. We're not talking about any of them though. At least I'm not.

Comment

My bad, misunderstood. The guy above you mentioned trim paint.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                    X