Restoring chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring chrome?

The chrome around the door of my car looks dull. What product would you guys recommend to restore the shine to it.
    E30 is life :finger:

It's actually anodized aluminium. I used this on Klaus. Highly recommended.

How to clean oxidized aluminum by Paul Miller Aluminum BMW oxidation on anodized exterior moldings on BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and all cars with faded anodized aluminum.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I like using Mothers brand wheel polish.
      sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post

http://classictrimcoat.com/oxidized-aluminum-kit.html
        How long did this last for you? im looking for a long term solution rather than something i have to do with every wash

Comment

So far so good, though Klaus stays in the garage and out of the elements. He's only been washed about half a dozen times since being painted nearly two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakotademon7 View Post
            I like using Mothers brand wheel polish.
            Mothers didn't work on my trim :/
            IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Yeah i tried the eagle one polish....no dice
              1997 Artic Silver M3
              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

There's no polish I'm aware of that will properly fix it. The oxidized part of the anodization must be (lightly) sanded off, then re-coated. Paul's product is the only one I've seen with any long lasting results.

Comment

FYI, anodizing is just the even coating of oxidation over the entire part. Colored anodizing is just the process of dying this layer of corrosion whatever color you want.

Comment

Technically that's correct, though most people associate the hazy, weather beaten part of the trim as being "oxidized."

Comment

agent, care to share some pics of how your trim looks now?

Comment

I don't think it looks any different than the pics I have of Klaus in his build thread. Time permitting I'll gladly snap some pics this weekend anyway.

Comment

I checked you the rebuild thread. If the trim still looks like what it does in the pictures I'm definitely going to give that classic trim coat stuff a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post

http://classictrimcoat.com/oxidized-aluminum-kit.html
                            Thanks for the link, I just ordered some. Will post walkthrough/results once it gets here.
                            sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

As mentioned you can't really REALLY polish anodized aluminum trim. There are a couple ways to tackle it, just depends on how much time/money you want to sink into it.

1) For light haze: just use a "polish" as mentioned above.

2) For scratches that not removable with "polish" you will need to remove the old anodizing (use anything with Lye in it [sodium hydroxide], I found a $10 bottle of "Hair and Grease remover" from Home Depot to work like a charm).

Once the anodizing is removed you can either

A) polish the bare aluminum and throw some spray-on clear coat on top.
                              OK, here it is, (finally!) I wanted to make this video just before Xmas as my gift to all you great folks who actually watch my videos, Thanks THANKS!, but ...

B) Have the parts re-anodized. If you choose to Re-anodizing the trim there are some basics you should be aware of a couple things ....

When anodizing an aluminum part the final finish depends largely on the surface finish of the part you are anodizing. Simply put, the more polished the part is when in goes into the anodizing tank, the shinier it will be when it comes out.

Now when you take trim parts to an anodizer the first thing they do is strip the old anodizing (if the part isn't anodized to start with it still goes in to clean the part). The stripper used is fairly abrasive and the part comes out with a flat/matt surface finish. Typically part is then put into the anodizing tank and given the matt-finish at that point, that's what you end up with for the final finish.

To avoid a matt-finish when re-anodizing you should plan on intervening between the anodizer's cleaning bath and the anodizing bath by picking up the parts and polishing them.

Hope that helps...
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                              X