removing and installing rear windsheild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing and installing rear windsheild

I searched and I found some info but I would like to know how hard it is it do? I dont have the proper tool and I wont have it Ill just use a screwdriver. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and advice. Thanks

As far as getting the lockstrips back in, seriously, go buy the tool, or see if someone here will let you borrow it. I tried it without the tool using a screwdriver, and it was a fucking nightmare.

Comment

Getting it out is cake. Putting it back in would be easier with the tool but definitely not 100% necessary.

Comment

Thats all I needed to here.....does anyone want to lend me the tool(far fetch)? Im just gonna fight with the fucker to get it back in without the proper tools that is if no one wants to lend it to me.

Comment

I haven't put one back in, but just removing glass at the junkyard with a screwdriver i've f-ed up the lockstrips. Buy the tool dude, there are so many threads touting it's worth.

Comment

You just pick up the tool at the dealer, then?

Considering pulling one off my friend's parts car, since I kind of want to retint my windows, but am not sure how hard it is for them to retint the rear window.

I want darker! lol
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Was searching to find a DIY thread or FAQ on doing the rear windshild replacement and this is the best thread I could find so..

Question 1 - is the rear glass press fitted on non e30m3s like the front? no glue needed correct?

Question 2 - rear windshield off of a 4 door is the same as 2 door yes?

Are the lockstrips one time use or can they usually be re-used?

Thanks
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                Was searching to find a DIY thread or FAQ on doing the rear windshild replacement and this is the best thread I could find so..

Question 1 - is the rear glass press fitted on non e30m3s like the front? no glue needed correct?

Question 2 - rear windshield off of a 4 door is the same as 2 door yes?

Are the lockstrips one time use or can they usually be re-used?

Thanks
                1. No glue is needed. it's just like the front on the regular e30's

2. Not to for sure. But if i'd have to put money down on it. I'd say they are the same.

3. I found that you can reuse the 88+ black locking strips. But with the 87 and older chrome locking strip, they seem to break and are usually discolored to a brown/black.
                Last edited by JasonC; 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Ok sounds good, my chrome locking strips are still chrome but I'll replace them with black ones if they break.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Can I order the tool online? Stupid PO had the rear window replaced and didn't connect the rear defrost wires so I think I have to pull the glass...
                    1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                    1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                    1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                    1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

You can connect them while the window is in. That's how we did it with my window since we forgot to connect it before putting it in. Just use a screwdriver as a finger and you should be able to get it. You'll spend a lot less time fighting it this way rather than fighting the window as a whole.

Comment

Remove the rear glass by taking out the locking strip and push the glass out from the inside.

To reinstall first place the rubber molding around the frame.
                        2. Place the glass into the grove on the bottom of the molding.
                        3. Get a plastic bone and slide around the molding until the glass falls into place.
                        4. Time for the locking strip. Place one end into the grove and use the plastic bone to slide it into place. Easy.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Done. Wasn't too bad for the first timer, didn't use any special tools and got the locking strips installed with a help of a small flat head screwdriver.

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk View Post
                            You can connect them while the window is in. That's how we did it with my window since we forgot to connect it before putting it in. Just use a screwdriver as a finger and you should be able to get it. You'll spend a lot less time fighting it this way rather than fighting the window as a whole.
                            Should I remove the trim thats on the inside? Between the window and the pillar?
                            1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                            1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                            1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                            1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

We did not (it was the last panel that went back in after paint), but if you feel it will make it easier, then it may not be a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X