Best way to repair/stop rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to repair/stop rust?

The 323i that I recently purchased has some fairly bad surface rust that I want to take care of el pronto..
    and I don't have money at the moment to have it done right at a body shop.
    So.. what I'd like to do is sand and primer the bad spots (with a little help from the old man), then hold off for a few months to save $ for a good paintjob.

So.. my question is basically.. what's the best way for me to handle the rust?
    Pelican parts sells Wurth paint products, are they any good? Specifically wurth rust guard? Anybody have any experience with that?

Any specific tips on what brand of stuff to use, kind of sand paper.. etc would be appreciated.

TIA

Re: Best way to repair/stop rust?

Originally posted by bimmerlover
    sand and primer the bad spots (with a little help from the old man), then hold off for a few months to save $ for a good paintjob.
    thats what i was going to tell you to do but you already are planning on it.

if it's real bad rust...cut it out and weld in new body panels

Comment

Re: Best way to repair/stop rust?

Originally posted by LikeCDoos

if it's real bad rust...cut it out and weld in new body panels
      There is one, maybe 2 areas I am going to have to do that with.
      The panel below the rear bumper.. specifically behind the license plate is in really rough shape.
      Interesting thing is.. according to receipts, it's been replaced once before! Dang!

Comment

Makes me love so-cal even more :D

Comment

Definatly sand it out, and make sure you paint it. Paint protects metal, and stops the metal from oxidizing (iron oxidizes fairily easily). Also, make sure you wax your car regularly because that covers exposed metals and stops oxidation. You can't stop rust unless you remove it.

On another note, I think Porsche's are coated in Zinc, which prevents rust. Can body shops do this to any car?

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Again, standard reply for autobody questions. Go the the forum at www.autobodystore.com It's frequented by professionals that can answer any and every question you have. Having heard this topic discussed at length on that forum, I would give the following advice.

Get a wire wheel or grinding disc to get rid of the rust, depending on the severity. Once you can no longer see any rust, treat the area with Picklex 20 (one to the best rust converters around, and available at the prior link). Then for a primer/rust proof paint, go with Zero Rust. autobodystore has a good article on ZR and how it was used on the engine mounts an ocean going ship. No rust. It works. Just be sure to get rid of the rust underneath and use Picklex 20.

Comment

Is it common for e30's to rust in the rear valence, right by the tow hook?

Comment

yes, in that bottom corner

Comment

Working...
                X