bleeping electric convertible top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bleeping electric convertible top

I'd like to officially join the bandwagon of people who hate the late model electric convertible top. Mine just went -snap- and it's too dark to see what's busted. It appears to be the lever that flips the flap/cover open and closed. This sucks because there's no way to lock down the cover manually & prevent it from flapping up in the wind.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Here's the damage - the lid lifting lever and the lid locking/latching lever fell off the shaft of what I presume is the "lid motor" in the center of the top storage area:

How do I fix this? There's no bolts involved; it appears that the levers just press-fitted or something onto the concentric shafts. Anyone?

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Is there a ridge for a snap ring?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Cogley View Post
        Is there a ridge for a snap ring?
        There is one snap ring that holds the concentric shafts in the sheetmetal of the car, but I don't see one that holds the levers on. I'll try to take a super-close-up pic tomorrow of the shaft.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

There should be a hex socket flat head capscrew in the center of the shaft. remove it and the splined center section will pull out. Your part could possibly be welded back together or replaced with a new one. If you weld it, you must put it back exactly as it came apart. I would recommend replacing with new part; BMW part # 51 25 8 112 682. Good luck.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie30 View Post
            There should be a hex socket flat head capscrew in the center of the shaft. remove it and the splined center section will pull out. Your part could possibly be welded back together or replaced with a new one. If you weld it, you must put it back exactly as it came apart. I would recommend replacing with new part; BMW part # 51 25 8 112 682. Good luck.
            Thanks - I ordered a lever from Pelican.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Working...
            X