Paint prep recomendstions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint prep recomendstions

hey guys, once i get my body kit installed and fitted properly i will want to paint the whole car, I was curious what you guys thought would be good things to remove before painting. Obviosly it would be best to strip it down to nothing and pint the whole shell, do you think this is the only way to go. I m repainting the car black. Its original color is black but the clear coat is coming off and there is lots of sun fade goin on. What do you guys think. i have never had a car painted and was curious as to how much prep work body shops do? do thaey remove tail lights and such or do they just mask them off? Around how much does this cost? Thanks guys.

Russell
    1987 325is
    1992 240sx coupe
    1994 525i

removing shit isnt considered prep work.

a bodyshop will only do work you pay them for.

any bodyshop you are likely to take your money to will mask off everything they can, they dont care.

bring your car to a paintshop just like this.

then take it home like this

then reassemble it like this

anything else would be halfass (in my opinion of course)

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

you forgot the middle step of taking it back after they fuck up the paint the first time.

anything else is half assed, in my opinion of course ;)

If you've got the time and desire, you could do it like jordan.
      or, just strip major stuff, and leave the body shop to mask/prep the detail stuff.
      Below the radar...

Comment

he is gettng a respray not a color change...
        I retired my E30 for now...
        E46 323i
        David Schultz

Comment

ok, in an ideal world yea id do things like jordan. However im a poor college kid. My e30 is my only mode of transportation. exept for my shoedabakers. This is the story of my car:

I didn't have the time or money to paint the car when i had it striped. Other wise I would have. I just dont have the time or money to do a complete strip down. What alternatives would you recomend.

I
          PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:05 pm Post subject:
          I realize it isn't considered prep work as in preping the body. But it is part of the preperation prosses for taking the car to the paint shop. I was just curious if any places offer to take the shit off , obviously for a price. or if they all just half ass and mask everything.

Thanks guys.

Russell
          1987 325is
          1992 240sx coupe
          1994 525i

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

a bodyshop will only do work you pay them for.

any bodyshop you are likely to take your money to will mask off everything they can, they dont care.

bring your car to a paintshop just like this.

then take it home like this

then reassemble it like this

anything else would be halfass (in my opinion of course)
            The 3 steps of repainting a BMW by Jordan Sarette. :D

Comment

I love how I managed to get the first 2 almost the EXACT same angle. I didn't intend to.

Comment

jordan, what do you think after reading my 2nd post? Do you still think thats really the only way to go, and maybe I should wait for a while until i can afford the tiem and money it i will take to respray it like you did or do you think there are some good alternatives? (see my 2nd post on this thread)

Russell
                1987 325is
                1992 240sx coupe
                1994 525i

Comment

I think its obvious you cant afford my method of a respray even if you wanted to go that all out.

just remove all the trim, lights, glass etc and call it a day.

Comment

kool, thanks

BTW i love your car.

Russell
                    1987 325is
                    1992 240sx coupe
                    1994 525i

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                      I think its obvious you cant afford my method of a respray even if you wanted to go that all out.

just remove all the trim, lights, glass etc and call it a day.
                      What he said...Just try to get everything you can off the exterior of the car. Since your going back "black" your underhood, trunk, door jambs, and sunroof-well will all still match. Just try to remove anything that they would only mask around and that you'll want new paint under (spoilers/valances come to mind).

Comment

Working...
                      X