IS Front Lip..paint options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS Front Lip..paint options?

Those of you who have the IS front lip, did you paint it yourselves? Did you use a different kind of paint to keep it from getting beat up, chipped, etc? Thinking of just painting mine black to hide all of the marks it will get get from the road. I'm wondering if I should use some sort of wrinkle paint or maybe clear bra? What have you guys done that's worked?

I bought the primed version of the lip from BMW and had a local shop paint it. The didn't charge much to paint it. They used paint and clear with flex agent and it has held up fine the last ~3 years.

Please note that the lip comes in black OR primer (different part numbers). If you want it black, just buy the black version.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      I bought the primed version of the lip from BMW and had a local shop paint it. The didn't charge much to paint it. They used paint and clear with flex agent and it has held up fine the last ~3 years.

Please note that the lip comes in black OR primer (different part numbers). If you want it black, just buy the black version.
      Oh didn’t know that. Is the black a matte finish or gloss and is it actually painted black?

Comment

It was a matte finish black. Similar to SEM trim paint. I can't seem to find the part # for the black version, but here is the part # for the primer version: 51711968488

You'll want to get new clips. The clips come in either black or white so. I have a white car so I got white clips. Here is the link to the realOEM page: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0652

Comment

Here is an option. I have used Monstaliner on air dams for a Spec E30. Here are 2 that I sprayed with a cheap schutz gun. This stuff is very durable. Monstaliner comes in 45 colors.

Comment

I've bought the primered version as well, didn't know a bout the black one.
            I used some SEM black trim paint, holds up fine!
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              It was a matte finish black. Similar to SEM trim paint. I can't seem to find the part # for the black version, but here is the part # for the primer version: 51711968488

You'll want to get new clips. The clips come in either black or white so. I have a white car so I got white clips. Here is the link to the realOEM page: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0652
              Awesome..thanks. Yeah I tried looking for the black version...can't find it....grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                I've bought the primered version as well, didn't know a bout the black one.
                I used some SEM black trim paint, holds up fine!
                Nice..so all you did was just spray it with SEM? You didn't have to do anything more to it? I've never used SEM trim paint before. Is the finish like a matte with a bit of sheen or completely flat?

Comment

Originally posted by spyder918 View Post

Nice..so all you did was just spray it with SEM? You didn't have to do anything more to it? I've never used SEM trim paint before. Is the finish like a matte with a bit of sheen or completely flat?
                  Correct! However, make sure to degrease it properly! This was the first time I ever used it as well.

Here's a couple of pictures

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

very clean! thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X