How do you remove these damn bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove these damn bumpers?

Hello, I've read a bunch of threads but I seem to have some very rare diving boards. I think my car is a mix of parts so can anyone tell from the pics how I can remove my front bumper? I looked behind the valence and I just can't see a way to remove them. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the link. That was probably the best write up I've read on bumper removal but my bumpers don't have the big holes to get to the allen bolts. Anyone else have the same issue and know how to get around it? Or if someone can take a measurement from the smaller hole over to where the allen bolt should be I could use that to drill a hole. Thanks

Comment

I pissed away half a day trying to figure out the front bumper. From what I can tell is I have an early diving board bumper with no holes to remove the bolts. I've read that you remove the four bolts from the back to get those bumpers off. My bumper has been tucked and I believe I have a later model valence so there is no gap to reach those four bolts. I've tried pulling on the bumper to see if it would slide forward and it doesn't budge. I tried drilling a hole and I think the drill bit is hitting the bolt because it stops and I can't go all the way through. It did go through about a half inch of aluminum before it stopped. I got frustrated and broke off the front bumper trim but there is no access to bolts through there either. I'd love to hear any ideas at this point. I don't want to destroy my bumper just to get it off but I don't see an alternative. The grinder is staring at me. Thanks

Comment

Anyone have an idea of how to get this bumper off without cutting it up?

Comment

Maybe attach the tow hook and see if the bumper wants to slide out to reveal the torx bolts? Though I don't recall exactly where the tow hook attaches to. Also this sounds a bit sketchy...

The bumper attaches to the chassis rails so don't think about hammering away...

The valance is separate from the aluminum bumper itself, so you need to remove the bumper first.

Ultimately, if I were you I wouldn't worry about hacking it up because if its an '88+ car you can just install later model plastic bumpers, which are much prettier than the aluminum bumpers.
            "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Thanks Zambuzan, It's an 87 but I am hoping to put on some euro bumpers. Still I hate to hack up the bumper in case those don't work out. I could tie the bumper up around a tree and haul ass in reverse to see if it pulls out to reveal the bolts. Ya, that sounds like a good idea. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by 55rag View Post
                Thanks Zambuzan, It's an 87 but I am hoping to put on some euro bumpers. Still I hate to hack up the bumper in case those don't work out. I could tie the bumper up around a tree and haul ass in reverse to see if it pulls out to reveal the bolts. Ya, that sounds like a good idea. Haha
                From looking at your valance, I'm pretty sure your car wouldn't take OEM early model euro bumpers. You need to do some research on that: cars made after September '87 had aluminum bumpers BUT late model valances. So theoretically, OEM late model plastic bumpers are plug-n-play.
                "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Working...
                X