Fun With Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun With Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric

So I recently acquired some tan houndstooth door panels, and had a problem. The panels are pearl-beige, and my interior is natur. So I thought I would see if there was a "cheap and easy" way to fix this.

In all of my searching, i could only find people who used vinyl dyes to convert their door panels from some other color to black, or repaint interior pieces that were already black. I did, however, find that a lot of people have good things to say about the Dupli-Color brand. Unlike SEM, you can get it at a lot of local parts stores.

Anyway, Dupli-Color makes 2 different "tan" vinyl dyes.
    [1] Medium Beige HVP113
    [2] Desert Sand HVP108

This is what the can looks like:

I picked up a can of each and went nuts on a spare natur panel I had lying around:
    [Left: Medium Beige] [Middle: typical dirty faded Natur] [Right: Desert Sand]

So it turns out that the Meduim Beige is a pretty damn close match. The Desert sand looks kinda like E30Trash's Mayo wheels. The above photo was taken after the panel sat overnight. Here is a close-up of the Medium Beige area:

I then got some painter's tape to mask off the cloth portions, and started on the rear panels. I cleaned them with some simple green gave them 3 light coats.

One panel masked off before cleaning:

One done, one to go:

Closeup of the end result:

This last photo was taken just after spraying. I think it will lighten a bit overnight. Installed pics + front panels to come.

nice work

Comment

vinyl paint is awesome sutff :up:

Comment

Glad to see this stuff works, part of me has always wanted to my door panels in lotus white, and maybe a few other pieces

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Glad to see this stuff works, part of me has always wanted to my door panels in lotus white, and maybe a few other pieces
          You are in luck my friend :) :) :)

SEM Colorcoat in 'Superwhite' is identical to Lotus white, I used it on my interior and it looks flawless.

Comment

wow, nice...

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              You are in luck my friend :) :) :)

SEM Colorcoat in 'Superwhite' is identical to Lotus white, I used it on my interior and it looks flawless.
              Sweet! Love when stuff works out that way. :nice:

How far should i go with it? just white door panels? hmm

Comment

Wow, that looks really nice, diggin the houndstooth too!!! I sprayed my black door pulls when I put them on. So much nicer than super glossy black. I grabbed a can of desert sand while I was there but it just doesn't quite fit. They didn't have any medium beige when I was in there. But after seeing that, I might have a new project/idea in mind

Brian

Comment

I got the rear panels installed today, and I can say that I am pretty happy with how they look. They aren't a "perfect" match, but close enough for the $12 that I spent on the dye. I am also not a professional photographer, and the lighting is a bit wierd. My rear seat is also pretty faded. Anyway, you guys be the judge:

Here is a pic of each side:

In this pic you can see the difference in color pretty well. The front panels will match the rear very soon.

Comment

Nice work,
                    I just turned my blue carpet black with this stuff and it turned out great!!! I did two coats with a quick fluff of the carpet using a medium bristle brush between the coats..and then again after the second coat to soften up the carpet. it looks like it was meant to be this way...I didn't even tape off my console or panels since they are black. there was little to no overspray since the nozzle on this product is very precise..I was thouroughly impressed with the results. I used the flat black.

Comment

Wow that turned out really nice.
                      | Jimmy | 1999 M3 | 1986 325 ES |

Comment

hmm... giving me ideas..
                        Achieve Rezolution...
                        www.Rezmoto.com
                        "The Leading E-Magazine For The Modified Euro-Auto Community"

Comment

nice front seats!

Comment

I got one of the front panels sprayed and installed. The passenger one needs a little repair before it can be installed.

Comment

wow looks good!!

Comment

Working...
                              X