How to install a dead pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install a dead pedal?

I'm going to install my new pedals this weekend, but I'm unsure about how to mount the dead pedal. Can I just go with self-tapping screws directly into the floorboard? What is under the carpet?

Re: How to install a dead pedal?

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
    I'm going to install my new pedals this weekend, but I'm unsure about how to mount the dead pedal. Can I just go with self-tapping screws directly into the floorboard? What is under the carpet?
    There's a lot of padding under the so called "dead-pedal". The metal, I think, is a good 2-3 inches down.
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Anyone have anymore info on this? I don't want to fuck anything up here.

Comment

sean is right... there is a considerable amount of foam underneath the dead pedal.

u'll be fine, screw it in, no worries....

Comment

what you should do it put a block of wood in there too for a spacer cuz at least i think the dead pedal is too far away

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
            what you should do it put a block of wood in there too for a spacer cuz at least i think the dead pedal is too far away
            I'm short too.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

im 6 feet tall

Comment

That's actually a good idea, maybe I'll pull the carpet and padding up in that spot, see what's what, and make some kind of a solid spacer to go in there.

Comment

im 6 feet tall
                  Move your seat forward. Your ridin' Mexican style. Your should be able to rest your foot on the dead pedal to be able to operated the other pedals correctly.

Comment

also, w/ your foot on the dead pedal you should have a bend in your knee. this way, if you're in a collision your knee can absorb the forces and not blow your hip out. this will bring your arms into a bend as well, resulting in better control of the wheel

i'm 6'2" and i keep my seat 1/2 way, if not a bit closer. felt weird at first, but i've gotten used to it. on long stretches i do tilt my seat back instead of the upright position if i'm truly driving
                    James
                    '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jht3
                      also, w/ your foot on the dead pedal you should have a bend in your knee. this way, if you're in a collision your knee can absorb the forces and not blow your hip out. this will bring your arms into a bend as well, resulting in better control of the wheel

i'm 6'2" and i keep my seat 1/2 way, if not a bit closer. felt weird at first, but i've gotten used to it. on long stretches i do tilt my seat back instead of the upright position if i'm truly driving
                      I'll place bets 9 people out of ten on this board don't sit right. Why? Because sitting right feels uncomfortable until you sit in it long enough. Everything you said above is completely right...posture in the driver's seat is extremely important in reducing injuries in a crash.

If you're comfortable behind the wheel, unless you've been doing it right for a while, chances are it's not right. That seatback should be almost completely upright, your knees should be bent, and you should be able to rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel while keeping your back and ass against the seatback. Could save your leg or arm or better...

Comment

^^ That's how I sit. Looks kinda goofy, but it ensures that the bolsters are in complete contact with your torso at all times.
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I'm with you guys, I sit fairly close and upright, you feel more in control that way, and my foot rests just fine on the dead pedal, with a bend at the knee.

In the last few weeks though, I've had to move my seat back, because I've been having a bad pain in my left knee, and if the seat is close, it hurts really bad to move from the dead pedal to clutch, and to put the clutch in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                            ^^ That's how I sit. Looks kinda goofy, but it ensures that the bolsters are in complete contact with your torso at all times.
                            Bingo. Though some with wider backs are SOL....I'm 5'7 and 175 lbs, so that aint me. I'm no cock diesel mutha fuckah.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                              In the last few weeks though, I've had to move my seat back, because I've been having a bad pain in my left knee, and if the seat is close, it hurts really bad to move from the dead pedal to clutch, and to put the clutch in and out.
                              That sounds serious.... I've heard of these symptoms before. It's called waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflescantdrivemanualitis. Better kiss you driving days goodbye, you're losing that leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X