seat belt buckles different versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seat belt buckles different versions?

after a year of ownership, I noticed that my seats have 2 different variation of seat belt buckles. for the front, I have the slim seat belt buckles where the disengage red button is entirely enclosed around the buckle housing. on my rear seats, I have a slightly thicker version where the the disengage red button is enclosed on 3 sides but you can visibly see the button depressed.

my question is when and why did BMW made the changes?

The early cars had the buckles with smaller buttons ('83-85). I've seen the smaller receivers on the front seats of some later models even when the rear buckles are the larger design. The smaller receivers are universal and will work with the early or late 'male' piece that is attached to the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
      The early cars had the buckles with smaller buttons ('83-85). I've seen the smaller receivers on the front seats of some later models even when the rear buckles are the larger design. The smaller receivers are universal and will work with the early or late 'male' piece that is attached to the belt.
      ahh i see, did it matter if you had sports or comfort seats? I can imagine that the larger receivers would flow better with comfort seats. I can get access to early model buckles just so I can get matching pairs but would the early model buckles fit on late model seat belts?
      Last edited by bmwstephen; 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I used to know exactly what years and/or seats the different buckles came on for sure, but I don't think it was a comfort vs. sport seat thing, just a production break. Early buckles work with late seat belts, but not the other way around. The early buckles don't give problems like the late buckles do so I have always retrofitted them into my late model cars.

Comment

I used to know exactly what years and/or seats the different buckles came on for sure, but I don't think it was a comfort vs. sport seat thing, just a production break. Early buckles work with late seat belts, but not the other way around. The early buckles don't give problems like the late buckles do so I have always retrofitted them into my late model cars.
          what problems are you referring to and why don't they fit? before I mess with them I just want to make sure I get the safest and correct seat belt seeing that this is something I do not want to compromise in in case of an accident

Comment

The early belt/buckle won't latch into the late style reciever. It just won't work. I've seen many more jammed or sticking late model recievers than early recievers. As far as I can recall I've never seen a jammed early reciever. They tend to hold up better in my experience.

Comment

My 84 had the early kind, and you can't get the early recepticles anymore as bmw will send you the new kind instead and you just swap the belts to late style to match.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

The early belt/buckle won't latch into the late style reciever. It just won't work. I've seen many more jammed or sticking late model recievers than early recievers. As far as I can recall I've never seen a jammed early reciever. They tend to hold up better in my experience.
                that is true. when i first bought my car, i noticed the passenger buckle was jamming and once attempted to be repaired. I should just get matching early versions to be safe. so without a doubt, early models can securely latch onto late model belts?

why can't late model buckles fit into early model belts? is it because the belt clip itself is wider?

Comment

My 84 had the early kind, and you can't get the early recepticles anymore as bmw will send you the new kind instead and you just swap the belts to late style to match.
                  You also CANNOT get the early style covers for the top loop for the belts. My car has early buckles all around, along with the rear belts mounted to the C-pillar rather then the parcel shelf. I ordered the part number that said 83-86 or whatever it was, and got the late model style, which DO NOT FIT!

Luckily i have a local bmw wrecker, and was able to get the last of the few they had to cover all mine....It didnt look finished seeing the big bolts coming from the C and B pillars...

Why does bmw superceed a part with another part that doesn't work? just say NLA so i save myself the $$....

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

my late belt fits into the early buckle just fine.
                    sigpic

Comment

^^Yep, Will is right.

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      so without a doubt, early models can securely latch onto late model belts?

why can't late model buckles fit into early model belts? is it because the belt clip itself is wider?
                      Early model belts/buckles won't work in the late receiver because the buckle isn't long enough to engage the late reciever. I'm not sure why it works so well the other way, but it does. In case you are wondering I will confirm right now that with the early receiver/late belt combo there is no slop an no chance of them coming unbuckled. Some cars (my '86 production es) came with this combo from the factory so it is perfectly safe.

Comment

Working...
                      X