Airbag steering wheel - defeated by steering lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag steering wheel - defeated by steering lock

I know this is not "glamorous" but I'm looking for a clean stock airbag steering wheel, the kind somebody took a moment to clean once and awhile. My 90 coupe has that slimy ground down smooth look.

We found a clean one today at a local boneyard, but we had to leave it it there - couldn't figure out how to pull it off without having the keys to undo the steering lock.

Tried snaking a small hose clamp up behind the top part of the wheel to reach and depress the top brass part but no luck.

Anyone face this issue (steering wheel removal when you don't have the ignition key) and if so how did you work around it?

Thanks in advance.

Grab a wireless sawzall and push the blade right on the top gap between the wheel and the steering column.

Comment

Hammer. Beat the shit out of that metal collar which locks the wheel. It was cold the morning I got mine, three whacks and it broke right off.

Comment

If you're still looking, I ordered an mtech 1 wheel and won't be needing my airbag anymore. It's not in bad condition, I have a thread called "Zach!" with pics. Let me know if you're interested and how soon you need it.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. We carry a small hacksaw with us on junkyard visits but we ran out of steam cutting on top behind the wheel. I hate to think now that we may have been close ;). Sparkles I will PM you.

Comment

Working...
          X