Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 325i coupe steering wheel removal HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325i coupe steering wheel removal HELP!

I have a 89 coupe with the 4 spoke steering wheel. I am trying to remove it but it doesnt come out. I removed the emblem then I used a 22mm socket to remove it, but it does not budge. Any help? I already used a lot of elbow grease. Maybe not enough?

Put your key in the ignition and turn it to on. Your steering wheel is locked in position right now, that keeps it from coming off.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
      Put your key in the ignition and turn it to on. Your steering wheel is locked in position right now, that keeps it from coming off.
      Its not that, I cant get the nut off.

Comment

Originally posted by frickendom View Post
        I have a 89 coupe with the 4 spoke steering wheel. I am trying to remove it but it doesnt come out. I removed the emblem then I used a 22mm socket to remove it, but it does not budge. Any help? I already used a lot of elbow grease. Maybe not enough?
        Did you get the nut off?

Comment

Originally posted by frickendom View Post
          Its not that, I cant get the nut off.
          ok, in the morning have your wheaties!!! wait a bit, get your 22mm 6 point socket and 1/2 inch drive. keep the steering locked and then put your back into it young man..!!!!! LOL then put the key in to release it from the hub. Keep the nut on and wiggle the wheel side to side until you feel it freeing up. if you decide to yank on it while the nut is off you might give yourself an upper cut and knock yourself out. So I recommend you pull on the wheel while the nut is in place.

Don't tell me you stripped the nylock? that's almost impossible!!!
          sigpic

Comment

When you take the nut off hold the steering wheel with the other hand and pull/push so that the steering lock isn't the only thing keeping the wheel from spinning.

Comment

got it! thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X