Drivers knee bolster repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers knee bolster repair

Like most E30's the knee bolster under the steering wheel has had a hard life. I bought mine used about 3 years ago, and while not perfect was better than the empty hole it left without being there. Times have been hard on this piece of 25 yr old German fiberglass plastic shit, so I have developed cracks (as most have)

Today, being as I have some time off work, I decided to repair this piece of trim

I didnt take any before shots, but it looked as most do, and did not stay in place due to structural issues resulting from the cracks. (and my large feet banging against its sagging ass sucked)

I used standard fiberglass resin to saturate the area, and then laid two layers of paper towel as a mat (yes paper towels, strength isnt really needed here). They are thin enough to not cause too much buildup with multiple layers, absorbant, and in my experience strong enough for this area.

you can see the cracking on the underside, it will be mostly hidden in the footwell.

here is a repair I did about 2 years ago on one of the mounting holes using the same technique, no issues

I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Did you end up painting it before it went back in the car?

Comment

Nope, what you see is under the dash, and therefore nearly invisible.
      I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Working...
      X