Fixing Vert Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Vert Seats

Hello all, I am in the process of restoring my tan leather vert sport seats. One of the seats goes back at an 180 degree angle and I was wondering if that was just from bad shocks or something else? Also, my driver side seat is somewhat crooked. Both seats need refurbishing / reupholstering, but I'll do that after the mechanisms are done. Anyways... does anyone have a tutorial for fixing the mechanisms of the seats?

Thanks,
    Spencer

I just did this today. There's a very high chance that if they sit at an angle, or the mechanisms on either side aren't even, then the seat bottom frame could be cracked. Also could be that 1 shock on a side is bad, but usually they fail in pairs. I'm too lazy to type out instructions on my iPad though.

Basically remove the plastic side covers, the 17mm bolt, undo the cables, and pull out the adjuster center and then the circlip. Mine were seized, some lithium spray worked nicely.
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

If they dont slide forward or back just go under the seat and there is a little wire that goes across to open the other mechanism just bend that tighter or reattach that so that the wire pull together mechanism and you will be all good.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

on verts the seat stops from flopping all the way back but on sedans it goes all the way. Maybe they replaced the vert for a normal sedan seat.
        "I wanna see da boat movie"
        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

there is a plastic stopper in the mech which you can seen when you take the cover off. This has broken or fallen out causing the seat to recline. It is put there so that you can't recline a vert seat otherwise the side handles on the seat back, rub the rear side panels.
          As for the ghetto lean? nothing unusual about that. you're seat frame is most likely broken. Simple fix: weld a small weld tab onto the upper seat frame to correct the problem. once apart and you inspect it you'll see. at least this was the most common problem when we got cars with seats leaning. providing it is the upper seat which looks crooked
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X