NRG short hub horn retention - How to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NRG short hub horn retention - How to

A while back I installed an NRG short hub and deep NRG wheel in my E30. NRG didnt do a very good job of providing a way to retain the horn function so I just skipped it. After a while, it became obvious that living in Washington State requires a horn to honk at the idiots. I decided to fix the issue and do this write up for everyone else.

I'll start by saying that I installed an NRG 002 3" deep dish wheel with the short hub but no quick release. This is only a write up on how I got the horn wired and not on anything else on the install.

I decided to utilize the factory slip ring from my M tech wheel.
    Its BMW PN 11528964

Flipping the NRG short hub over we see that it measures roughly 44.8mm

Flipping the slip ring over we see that the ID measures approx 46mm
    The tab for the horn ground on the upper left will be going through the hole on the NRG hub.

First: Cut the top of the slip ring off removing the turn signal cancel tab

Second: When flipping the ring over you'll see the locating pin molded into the ring. Cut this off too.

Third: test fit the ring on the hub and mark your hole locations. Make sure the connection tab is centered in the through hole so it doesnt ground out while installed.

Drill and tap small screw holes at the locations you marked. I used 4-40 flat heads because thats what I had on hand

Flipping the hub over you can see how the conneciton for the slip ring at the upper right is perfect

Finally in order for the horn to work, the hub must be grounded to the car. With the anodize, it cant. You need to sand or in my case I wire wheeled the anodize off the face as shown to get it to ground while mounting.

Now, installed, you'll see that grounding the black wire to the slip ring connection will ground the circuit and work the horn. Now you can intstall your wheel, horn, etc

Here is the pic of the wheel installed in case you want to see the final result. I chose the deep wheel and short hub because it comes to almost exactly the same point from the dash as the factory wheel did. In order to use this combo I had to make a custom 3/8" thick spacer from the hub to the wheel due to the steering shaft hitting the horn button and bottoming out.
    Last edited by PNWDan; 04-07-2012, 09:01 AM.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Very nice and detailed write up, good job Dan.
    You did many tasteful mods to your e30, keep it up.
    "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

great write up
      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Very Nice write up. I know from previous experience there is no write up on this so this is very much needed. Thank you! Someone sticky this!
        Work We Do
        CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
        http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Thanks guys!

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

Just wanted to bump this to say thanks for posting, it helped out a lot! :up:

Comment

Glad it helped!

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

Just used this, thank you very much. I used the slip ring from my stock 4 spoke wheel, looks and fits exactly the same.

***Edit, horn is stuck on, so I need to figure out what's wrong there... early 87 325e, NRG short hub, OG NRG quick release, momo wheel & horn button...
                Last edited by Spyke; 02-15-2013, 04:38 PM.
                Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
                Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

thread revival...

I installed this almost identically as OP and mine did the same as Spyke above me. Horn blaring once the car was on.

Anyone have this same issue? it's an early model/84
                  sigpic

Comment

Horn honks when you complete the circuit. You have metal to metal contact somewhere in the circuit.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

yeah, i got that much. it's only the ground which is the column, and the circuit which is the little spring contact coming off the column and makes contact with the slip ring.

I get it. I don't get why the write up isn't working for me and why my car is doesn't even honk when i complete the circuit using a jumper. Worked perfectly fine with my original 4 spoke and the mtech1 i got from the junks...
                      sigpic

Comment

got tired of having no horn for the last 3 months.

here's where i was making contact:

I used an extra washer to remedy the contact.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

I am having the same issue. When the slip ring makes contact, it stays on. Is there any suggestions on how to fix it?

Comment

i bought a washer so it wouldn't make contact. had to dremel out the center since it wouldn't fit over the splines on the steering column.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X