Rear view mirror mount broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear view mirror mount broken

I cant believe this actually happened haha, got another e30 and went to install a maplight mirror just like my other 2 and when removing the stock mirror the metal plate ripped out of the roof panel! I'm trying to decide on options to fix it. The three holes in the roof are pulled out and the "rivets" cant be re-inserted into them. Bodyshop quote $400+ to fix it, im faaaar too cheap to pay that.

Welding is not an option because of the proximity to paint on the exterior. What do you guys think about slathering the piece with the strongest JB weld and clamping it in place for 24 hours? I tried that JB KWIK set stuff but it broke off when I went to adjust the mirror after install so I cleaned it all off. I've never used the shit but I've heard it's extremely powerful, and despite my fear of hack repairs on the car it beats the alternative of paying full shop rates. Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of??

1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

You could try tapping the holes on the edges a bit so they close up some and then putting the base back on.

Or just drill the base out on the rivets and use some sheet metal screws.

Finally maybe a set of self drilling screws on 2 spots above the outer rivets
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Drill the mount where the nipples are and use self tapping screws and you're done. Mine was loose when I installed my maplight and the mount came off. So drilling it and screws will work fine without welding anything

Comment

Awesome, its good to hear I'm not the only one that's had this happen and it's been repaired. I'll stop by my work tonight and grab some self tapping screws and drill the base.
        1990 332i, 4 door
        2008 KTM 990 Superduke
        2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
        2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
        2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

you may even be able to nut and bolt it if there is room on the bolt thread side to clear. I believe you'll also have room between the panel and the bracket to clear. another solution may be to clamp the bracket in a vise and install the mirror then JB weld the bracket back in.
          sigpic

Comment

recommendation as to what I have done.... I retrofitted an e46 mirror and wired it into the car for the self dimming feature to work. it connects itself to the windshield so you dont have to worry about the metal plate
            sigpic
            "evil always prevails....because good is dumb"

Comment

e30 vert mirror setup will work to. Have to do the same thing on my daily.

Comment

Working...
              X