Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where the heck is the carpet dying DIY I am looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the heck is the carpet dying DIY I am looking for?

I been searching high and low for this DIY. I know it was either on r3vlimited, e30tech, or bimmerforums!

It was a DIY someone did about how they dyed their anthracite carpet black. I remember one of the pics showed one side of the carpet dyed and the other side not dyed in order to show how the black looked compared to the grey.

His process was to pressure wash it, then brush in the dye. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by mmire30 View Post
    His process was to pressure wash it, then brush in the dye. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
    Whatever you do, don't go anywhere near vinyl/fabric spray paint.
    » PARTS FOR SALE
    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

^ +1 , made my carpet crunchy and stiff, i would try going onto Google and typing "DYI e30 carpet dye"....Couple of different websites show up ,including your thread here on R3V ,showing different ways of dyeing your carpet

Comment

those who got the crunchy carpet feel missed a step. After you spray a coat down, let dry and take a brush to brush up the pile and to get the nap of the carpet back. Vacuum and respray. repeat the process. I did this with my beat pearl carpet and dyed mine using duplicolor desert tan. Considering what it looked like before? the after came out astonishing better.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ceeker; 09-03-2012, 09:07 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know the thread I am talking about? Maybe it was a build thread?

Comment

Nvm. Found it!

Comment

Originally posted by mmire30 View Post
              Nvm. Found it!
              Share it here for future reference. ;)
              » PARTS FOR SALE
              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

did my rear deck with Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric spray paint and it came out great, even though it isnt real carpet. Real carpet works even easier.

before and after together:

spray on one coat, let dry. rub with a stiff bristle brush to remove the crusty stuff. repeat until it is full black.

Comment

brydana colorbond > duplicolor
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
                    those who got the crunchy carpet feel missed a step. After you spray a coat down, let dry and take a brush to brush up the pile and to get the nap of the carpet back. Vacuum and respray. repeat the process. I did this with my beat pearl carpet and dyed mine using duplicolor desert tan. Considering what it looked like before? the after came out astonishing better.
                    Looks really good! Did you pull the carpet or tape off and do it in the car?
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X