Negatives of not having a carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negatives of not having a carpet?

i pulled my carpet today and literally found a puddle of water in my drivers side foot well, and a bunch of rust obviously. same on the passenger side but not nearly as bad. so im gonna figure out where its leaking and fix it weld up the holes and truck bed liner the floor.

anyone ever try this? i know it would save some weight (witch i dont really care about) im not auto crossing or anything its just my daily. i know it would be alot louder but is there any other negatives to not having a carpet?
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Heat and noise.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

NVH and heat.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Heat, noise...also going to have to either fab up a dead pedal or buy the one from massive that is meant to be used with no carpet. Levent at guten parts should have one more left, otherwise will have to get in touch with Lee.
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

How bad is the heat and noise is the question.

Comment

Also carpet kinda traps dirt that can more easily be cleaned up with a vacuum vs the bare metal floor
            www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
            2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

I really Think its trashy when a car 20 years ago was 25k and now 20 years later wants to distroy it because its what all the cool kids are doing.

Heat and noise is pretty bad, Plus does a chick really dig a car that looks like its in shambles?

If it were my car I would double check the heater core, Patch the floors, Peel and seal the whole floor, Power wash and extract the carpet and re install. It will look better than before and be quieter.

I had an AE86 that some dumb ass stripped the carpet from, It was a miserable bitch to drive, It got old pretty quick...

Comment

Unless its a dedicated track car, do your self a favor and replace the carpet.
                That said no carpet really is not that bad. There is extra road noise, but the heat really is not a problem at all. In a real DD its a lot nicer to have carpet though. Trust me.
                sigpic
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

i was thinking, remove the carpet, put in a layer of the bitumen type insulation, then use some mats. The fitted ones you can get for E30's are pretty large, covers all the floor areas where your feet would go anyway. Insulation will take care of a lot of the noise and heat.
                  Just a little project im working on
                  - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I have it removed on my track car.

Noise is more of an issue then heat, expect to yell to carry a convo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not doing it because I'm some stupid hipster kid, I just feel like it would be a lot easier with out one. Also, I feel like it would be hard to find a nice condition one.

I have a shit load of holes in my drivers side floor so I plan on getting a new floor pan and just welding it it ( my buddy lives in AZ, no rust he can just cut me out a new floor pan)

Also I stripped all the sound deadening (because race car obvi) lol so I may ruck bed liner it and if I get sick of the noise and heat I could just get a carpet later on

Comment

Fyi bed liner is highly flammable. not good for an interior. have your buddy send you a carpet from AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkworks View Post
                          Fyi bed liner is highly flammable. not good for an interior. have your buddy send you a carpet from AZ.
                          I doubt it's flammable after its cured

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Pretty sure its not flammable after its cured

Comment

I've never heard of carpet trapping moisture and causing rust. Weird.

So I cut out all the rust, welded in 2 plates with my flux core welder and I had this okay looking floor with bed liner.

It looks okay but you definitely get the sense of it being cheap. When your feet hit it, it sounds "tin-y" I haven't driven it yet but I imagine the noise is going to be unbearable. I shaved off the rusty water logged foam from under the carpet and you can tape on some foam from a cushion or anything really.

Put the carpet in..
                              Function.
                              Form.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X