Sport seat tear-down problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport seat tear-down problem

So I replaced my beat up drivers sea with a passenger seat in good condition. But it irks me that all the mechanisms are on the console side and hard to use, so I'm trying to swap the mechanisms. I've got the recline mechs and sliders off, but am stumped on how to remove the knob and adjuster mech for the front thigh bolster. Any advice? Can't find it in any write up.

Thanks!
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

The plastic knob for the knee bolster just pulls off but it can be stuck on there pretty good. I wish there were some kind of trick I could tell you but there Isn't one, just keep pulling, prying and whacking it until it comes off.

The metal handles for the seat base angle adjustment have a set screw or through screw in them.

Comment

Get a fat flat head or pry bar and place it behind the knob. Pry up against the plastic and it should come off; as said sometimes it takes a bit more man handling but it WILL come off.

you do know the seat bottoms aren't the same and nothing is interchangeable except the leather.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! I finally decided to just manhandle the knob and it came off but with some damage (that you can't see of course, but it bugs me anyway)

I did NOT know until i did finally get it off that the seat frames are not interchangeable. bummer. the mech for the thigh bolster and angle adjustment (lever comes off as noted above) are welded on.

bummer, my frame is cracked through, was hoping to swap the mechs and leather. now on the lookout for a working + cheap driver's side seat frame in soCal...

thanks for the help!

Comment

Driver's side sports seats are getting way harder to come by, if you post a pic I could probably help you, I'm an L.A. local too. ;)
          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Thanks Edwin! My seat frame is split in two, it would need welding, I'd rather try to find a solid one. I have literally everything else i would need to swap over to a solid seat frame so i don't care about cosmetic condition - let me know if you see one around, i'll keep an eye on the FS threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
              Thanks Edwin! My seat frame is split in two, it would need welding, I'd rather try to find a solid one. I have literally everything else i would need to swap over to a solid seat frame so i don't care about cosmetic condition - let me know if you see one around, i'll keep an eye on the FS threads.
              Alrighty man, glw the hunting.
              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Did you try just spraying the mechanisms w wd-40 if they were hard to recline? Out of all the seats I've come across, 9 times out of 10 it would free up all the adjusters
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Seat had lots of problems, including inability to stay vertical. From what I read that's usually a cleaning problem as you suggest but before I could tear into it I found a passenger seat that had good leather (and stayed upright) so at least i could drive it. Finally opened it up and it's literally in pieces. Might be able to get the recline mech to work but there's no point until I have a solid seat frame.

-emil

Comment

Working...
                  X