Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: painting cluster needles (my method)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: painting cluster needles (my method)

Hey guys,

Just got done replacing my odometer gears and I figured I might as well paint the needles while its out. Well I then went to find paint and was a little misguided at first so let me show you how I went about it.

Paint-

The best place to go for this is a micheals or Joann's store (I went to micheals). Go to their model car section and you will find their section of plastic enamel paint. (Look for the TESTORS brand) This is the stuff you want to use. Now you can either go two colors:

This is bright gloss red from another member:

This was what u was planning on using, but when I drove to the place in my e46 m3 I noted that my needles were this color:

More orange then red if you ask me. So I picked out gloss orange instead. Here's what it looks like, and this is plenty to do the needles.

Make sure you get some paint brushes too. They have the same paint in a spray can if you want to do it that way.

Okay, rip out that cluster !! (Way easier then I thought it would be)

Replace the gears if needed

Then mask off the needles as best you can

Then paint! I did two layers, and if I had the chance I might of only done one layer, to try and get a little transparency like my m3s needles. But none the less, I still think they turned out good!!

(I think the chrome rings really help the orange needles, can't put my finger on it why but it just does ;) )

Anyways, there you go. Pretty damn simple. But I took pictures so I figured I would share and try and give back a little to this community. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Cool write up, but you might want to re-size the pictures. they are HUGE. I recommend 800px wide.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      Cool write up, but you might want to re-size the pictures. they are HUGE. I recommend 800px wide.
      It won't let me resize them...
      Current:
      1989 325i
      1988 M3
      1987 325ic
      Past:
      2001 330ci
      2001 M3

Comment

very nice. the testors enamel lays acceptably flat?

any tips on where to get the aluminum rings?

Comment

How well can you see them at night? I used spray paint, and they look really nice during the day, but I cant see shit at night.

Comment

Working...
          X