Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Position of trim panel above steering column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position of trim panel above steering column?

Just finished a dash swap. Noticed that the main cluster trim does not fit over the trim panel above the steering column (held w/ thumb screws). I can’t seem to get the cluster trim high enough to go above the trim panel, as I believe that’s how it fits, but I could be wrong. As I have it, the trim panel is on top of the cluster trim or said in another way, the lower lip of the cluster trim is behind the trim panel. Is my cluster too mounted too far inward? Should I loosen it and pull it forward at the bottom to raise it a hair?
    Or do I remember incorrectly and the cluster trim should be behind the trim panel? But I see an ugly stepped lip at the top edge of the trim panel…
    I swapped from an airbag dash to non-airbag, 1991 to 1987, if that matters.
    Anyone else ever encounter this issue?
    Thanks for any tips.

The cluster trim ring goes in front of (ie; towards the driver) the lower trim panel. There are 2 little screws that go in the cluster trim ring at the top.

Comment

If I'm reading you right, you're installing in the wrong order. Install the cluster, then cluster trim ring, then dash panel. Dash panel (thumbscrews) does have a little step in the top, this is exposed as a parting line, feature not a bug.
      '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
      '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
      '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
        If I'm reading you right, you're installing in the wrong order. Install the cluster, then cluster trim ring, then dash panel. Dash panel (thumbscrews) does have a little step in the top, this is exposed as a parting line, feature not a bug.
        That's how I installed it, though I still think the trim ring should partially rest on top of the panel, more toward the driver.

I know about the two sccrews at the top, but that didn't seem to be moveable at all. There's isn't a lot of wiggle room for the cluster, is there? I'll try to dismount it to ge the bottom to pull more outward...

Comment

I just checked, the dash trim does not sit behind the cluster trim. they meet up. the little step makes it look like its behind once installed, but not so.

It's really easy to set the cluster at a slightly off angle and still be able to screw it back in. I did this twice, the second time i was paying attention and still got it wrong. There's a good amount of wiggle room, at least enough to mess it up

Comment

Just re-reading your first post - the cluster trim does sit vertically above the dash trim, and is a little bit proud (towards the driver). So your dash trim should not be covering the cluster trim in any way. You also might need to push the dash trim down into place more firmly, it's a snug fit.

GL

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
              Just re-reading your first post - the cluster trim does sit vertically above the dash trim, and is a little bit proud (towards the driver). So your dash trim should not be covering the cluster trim in any way. You also might need to push the dash trim down into place more firmly, it's a snug fit.

GL

thanks for the confirmation. I guess I'll need to pull the cluster and redo it again...

Comment

Working...
              X