Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash crack help!!! Before it's too late!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash crack help!!! Before it's too late!

I have heard many mixed rumors about how to preserve ones dashboard.. Buuut while the majority of the people say armor all is the way to go, I'm still skeptical. I have heard that vinyl protectant and certain products work more effectively.. And input and experienced opinion is more than welcomed, thank ya!
    1991 325i Mtechnic : : 1995 Jeep Wrangler : : 2008 Audi A8l
    2016 Triumph Scramber : : 1970 Honda CL350 x2 : : 1974 Honda XL 350
    1975 BMW R75/6 : : 1946 Ben Hur Jeep Trailer

DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL. The stuff is garbage and does not condition the vinyl at all. Buy a good protectant (I like Meguiar's NXT) and use a sun shade in the windshield as much as possible.

If you don't want the cracks spreading any further, drill a tiny hole at each end of the crack. This will stop it moving along further.

Comment

Definitely do NOT use armorall. Armorall is petroleum based and can actually worsen the damage. I recommend a water based protectant such as 303 Aerospace Protectant (can be had at stores like NAPA). I also use a sunshade as much as possible and store the car indoors if possible.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
        303 Aerospace Protectant (can be had at stores like NAPA)
        Or at marine sales/service centers. 303 is the way to go for sure.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
          Definitely do NOT use armorall. Armorall is petroleum based and can actually worsen the damage. I recommend a water based protectant such as 303 Aerospace Protectant (can be had at stores like NAPA). I also use a sunshade as much as possible and store the car indoors if possible.
          Dash cracks because petroleum molecules evaporate from the material reducing the density of the material, and material contracts creating the cracks. When you spray any liquid on the already old dash, the material absorbs the liquid and expands creating even bigger cracks. It is too late to treat the dash. Material is not flexible anymore

If the dash was treated with petroleum based protectant from when it was brand new, the dash will be perfect even today.

303 Aerospace Protectant
          It is either petroleum based or glycol based, either or, it won't help already dry dash

Comment

Working...
          X