Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you delete your sunroof and install a headliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you delete your sunroof and install a headliner?

If so I need your help!

I deleted my sun roof and cassette so now I don't have a way to keep the rods up, they just flip down so my headliner seems a bit lower then it should be.
    how did you keep the rods from flipping up side down?
    theyre originally retained with metal tabs on to the cassette which I no longer have.
    thanks for the help!

Bump

Comment

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the rods?

I'm trying to picture it in my head but having a hard time.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Yea, the cloth headliner has rods going through it horizontally from one side of the roof to the other, they are what keeps the headliner up, hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
          If so I need your help!

I deleted my sun roof and cassette so now I don't have a way to keep the rods up, they just flip down so my headliner seems a bit lower then it should be.
          how did you keep the rods from flipping up side down?
          theyre originally retained with metal tabs on to the cassette which I no longer have.
          thanks for the help!
          How did you reinforce the front of the roof? I just took my cassette out and also would like to know how others are doing their headliner. I'm contemplating shaping my own foam and gluing it into place. Then I can glue the headliner to that.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by rickycricketts View Post
            How did you reinforce the front of the roof? I just took my cassette out and also would like to know how others are doing their headliner. I'm contemplating shaping my own foam and gluing it into place. Then I can glue the headliner to that.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

im not sure what you mean by reinforce the front of the roof, I left the sunroof intact, didn't skin it, used that for support and welded it all in

Comment

I deleted sunroof on 3 E30s, main reason is because you simply can't buy replacement parts, and no one makes aftermarket sunroof parts.

On first E30, I removed the whole sunroof system including the shell that is tack welded to the roof, then I attempted to weld the sunroof top to rest of the roof, but the weld started wrinkling the roof. So it became a mess, then I had to cut the panel off at the welds then weld a support inside then weld the support, then use urethane windshield installation compound and seal the opening, it came out ok.

On two others, I did not remove the cassette part, and welded 4 bolts to the cover, then drilled 4 holes down on the cassette then bolt the cover down, then use urethane sealant and it came out looking slick,

Comment

Sorry if this is off topic.

What are you going to use to make the roof smooth? I deleted my sun roof and removed the cassette, I also skinned the original sunroof panel & weleded a 1/4th inch piece of solid tubing around the whole cassette to fill the gap in some what. I then tack welded the skinned panel in. Now here is the hard part, how do you smooth out the top of the roof w/o using so much bondo (that will eventually crack).

I planning on getting a new headliner put in, i don't think its worth using the stock OEM one. Its probably easier to just get one glued in.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X