door lock issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

door lock issue

so my doors weren't locking previously and just recently replaced the door lock cylinders. my driver side is now ok but my passenger side still likes to have a mind on its own.
    the issue: when i try to lock my passenger side by turning the key, the door locks for a moment and then unlocks itself. it doesn't always happen but it does happen occationally. also sometimes likes to not unlock and stays jammed in the lock position. like i said i replaced the lock cylinders with brand new ones straight from sonnen BMW.
    anyone have an idea?

Sounds like a sticky lock cylinder or latch mechanism. My driver door used to do this until I rebuilt the cylinder and greased the crap out of the latch. Since you replaced (and greased?) the cylinders, I would start at the latch.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      Sounds like a sticky lock cylinder or latch mechanism. My driver door used to do this until I rebuilt the cylinder and greased the crap out of the latch. Since you replaced (and greased?) the cylinders, I would start at the latch.
      i did not grease the cylinder! what kind of grease? and just on the outside?
      thanks for the response.

Comment

At least with the rebuild kit, a tube of assembly grease came with it. Since you bought a complete cylinder I would assume it was greased, but if it wasn't then the only reliable way to grease it is to remove the cylinder and squish the grease into the tumblers (with the key inserted!!). Make sure to use lock assembly grease though as regular grease is too sticky.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

At least with the rebuild kit, a tube of assembly grease came with it. Since you bought a complete cylinder I would assume it was greased, but if it wasn't then the only reliable way to grease it is to remove the cylinder and squish the grease into the tumblers (with the key inserted!!). Make sure to use lock assembly grease though as regular grease is too sticky.
          would wd-40 be fine for the latch? im fairly sure sonnen greased it because my dad bought lock cylinders from them for his bmw and it worked fine after he installed it

Comment

just wd-40 ed the crap out of the latch and everything works great!
            thanks for your help ELVA164!

Comment

No problem! :up: Just remember WD40 can break down the stock grease if used too much/frequently. If the cylinder gets sticky again, I've heard good things about Houdini oil.

Comment

No problem! :up: Just remember WD40 can break down the stock grease if used too much/frequently. If the cylinder gets sticky again, I've heard good things about Houdini oil.
                i made sure not to wd-40 the cylinder because it comes with it greased so i did what u did and greased the crap out of the latch. but i will keep that in mind. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X