Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water leaking from A pillar, how to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leaking from A pillar, how to fix?

I have a persistent leak coming in between the A pillar & door trim. Every time it rains I get this leak:

I've cleared the drain down at the fender as best I can, but it still leaks. This leads me to believe the drain tube is either disconnected at the sunroof or cracked somewhere. Either way, I need to get to it.

I can't seem find any guides on how to remove the trim. Anyone know what the steps are?

1987 325e - 5 speed - Mods: 3.25 LSD, Mark D Chip, Bilstein HD's, Ansa Sport

that sucks. pull off that cover where it is leaking from (Should be like 2 screws holding it on) and then do further investigation.
    Good luck keep me posted!

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
      pull off that cover where it is leaking from (Should be like 2 screws holding it on)
      This is my problem, I don't see how the trim fits together or where those screws would be?

1987 325e - 5 speed - Mods: 3.25 LSD, Mark D Chip, Bilstein HD's, Ansa Sport

Comment

Peel/pull the door gasket back.
        The vinyl a-pillar cover is just snapped into holes in the metal a-pillar. Use caution removing, they are fragile and tend to break. A large flat blade like a putty knife helps.

Then slide it "Up" away from the dash. You'll see the "U" clip that it gets inserted into next the dash when you do this.

You can peel back part of the headlinder/sunroof motor cover/sun visor holder to see further up.

I suspect you'll find your problem to be one of the following:
        -Dislodged drain tube from sunroof (unlikely)
        -Bad door gasket seal (potential)
        -Rusted connection between sunroof drain and hose down to fender drain (possible, it is a NH car)

My money is on the door gasket.
        Sunroof drains would be leaking higher up and with larger volumes of water.

HTH,
        -Chris
        Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
        X