E30 cabrio rear window repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 cabrio rear window repair

Just a (possibly) helpful post for the future.
    My new-to-me E30 cabriolet had a nonop drivers side rear window.
    Saw a post about the switch being the common failure, so I pulled the console up and swapped switches from left to right - still not working. I could hear a faint click back there at the window, so I knew it was not a wiring issue.

After checking the Bentley, I:
    • removed the backset bottom
    • removed the bezel around the cabrio top cover release lever
    • removed the molding along the B pillar that holds the back panel in place
    • removed the screws holding the panel in place
    • slid the panel forward and out, giving me access to the regulator bolts
    • after some head scratching and checking Bentley again, saw that there are three 13mm nuts that get removed
    • those 13mm bolts thread onto a 3mm bolt which I had to unwind to give me clearance to remove the regulator. I first put a dab of whiteout on them, so I would know the correct position for reinstall
    • disconnected the regulator wiring
    • slid the regulator up and out

I disconnected the motor from the regulator and plugged it into the harness and tested. WHIRRR, grease all over but working fine. So, I got some Wurth HHS2000, sprayed the regulator sliders and rails, and manually worked the window up and down. Tested it and working fine. Reinstalled.

My advice? If you have the same symptom (the clicking sound back there) it could just be stuck. Gently pry the windowstripping until you see the regulator rails, and spray something down there to see if you can get it to loosen. You might also try gently pushing on the window while someone toggles the switch.

Overall, pretty easy fix and $0 spent :)
    1988 325iC SOLD
    1985 524td 49k

Yep, did this last summer, not too hard at all. Definitely better than spending $500 to have someone else do it, but took a while, maybe because I cleaned the old grease off before re-lubing. I'd also recommend removing one or both pieces of the chrome window trim, I wasted a lot of time trying not to damage it when removing and reinstalling the unit. It's kind of a tight squeeze.
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Working...
    X