Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made and installed my own headliner. Turned out ok.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made and installed my own headliner. Turned out ok.

Finally got tired of driving my e30 without a headliner. Made my car feel cheap. Tried buying one online but unknown to me at the time, the headliner is NLA. The only place that seems to have any is worldupholstery but at $300 i decided to make my own

Here's what i started with. Pulled this headliner from a junkyard car. I was going to install it since it was a bit better than my original one but couldn't get the stains out. Decided to use it as a template instead

Bought a sewing machine for about $120 off amazon. Super easy to set up and use. I was originally going to use some foam headliner material that i got from Joann's fabrics but the material sucks. It feels and looks cheap and it's hard to sew with. Ended up scrapping about $40 worth. Bought some decent quality vinyl that's similar to the material on the door card. Time will see how it will hold up

With my limited sewing skills i decided to cut the rod holding part of the headliner and glue it on my new headliner with permanent cloth glue. I only used one of the bars

Test fitting. By far one of the hardest parts since most of the headliner is held up with the window trim. Nothing a little duct tape and ruber mallet cant handle

Happy that the headliner was going to fit without too much sag, I pulled the rear window. I decided not to pull the front window. It seems unnecessary since that part of the headliner is held up by the sunroof section

Got everything nice at tight and then put the window back in

While at the junkyard i also got me a sun visor panel. Had to reglue the vinyl back to the front of the panel

Panel and oh-crap handles back in. Decided not to cut holes for the lights for now since the plastic brackets that hold the lights are broken. I have yet to do the sunroof part but its in the works

Overall im very happy with the way it came out. Spent about $200 and ended up with a sewing machine. Time wise it took me about 16 hrs total.

Looks awesome!
    - 90 325is

Comment

did you have to take the Side windows out?

Comment

Looks good man that's impressive. Love the black houndstooth too.
        sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Originally posted by brickwhite View Post
          did you have to take the Side windows out?

The window gaskets hold the headliner in place. You might be able to leave the windows in and do this but it would be a PIA. It is easy to remove and re install the windows and it would make the job a lot easier.

OP, Have you thought of selling these. You already have a template and I think it looks good. You could probably make a little bit of money and the shipping wouldn't be that expensive. None of my E30's are show cars so I can't justify $300 for a headliner.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

It looks good and it's real cool that you did it yourself.
            sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

The only window that needs to come out is the back window. The side windows have enough clearance when popped out. The front window could come out if you want the headliner to be more secure but i think is unnecessary

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              The window gaskets hold the headliner in place. You might be able to leave the windows in and do this but it would be a PIA. It is easy to remove and re install the windows and it would make the job a lot easier.

OP, Have you thought of selling these. You already have a template and I think it looks good. You could probably make a little bit of money and the shipping wouldn't be that expensive. None of my E30's are show cars so I can't justify $300 for a headliner.
              Thought about it but not at this point. I need to beef up my sewing skills to get that oem fitment. At that point i may sell some. Last thing i want to do is deal with unhappy custormers

Comment

Wow that's amazing, looks almost OEM.
                1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X