Replacing Skins on seats- Hog Rings & Pliers- Coupla questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Skins on seats- Hog Rings & Pliers- Coupla questions

Specifically for redoing the back seat on an e30 m3. but in general I had some questions about the hog ring part. I already know the kinds of hog ring pliers I need. I don't know if they are adjustable or whether you need to get size specific supplies. Just need some specific info on that part of the process.

-Do I need to get a specific size or gauge hog ring to match oem bmw? If so, what size?
    -If hog rings are not size specific and they are varied in size is there a special technique to getting it right?

I did plenty of seats when I worked at Land Rover.

The hog rings are generic.

There really isn't a lot of technique. Just line up the wire embedded in the foam with the wire or hole in the upholstery and clamp the hog ring around them both, clamping them together.

Cutting out all of the old hog rings is the hardest part of the job.

Comment

So if i understand, the hog rings are generic size and it depends how tight you clamp them that determines the size?

Comment

Originally posted by CMG View Post
        So if i understand, the hog rings are generic size and it depends how tight you clamp them that determines the size?
        Eastwood sells both straight and angled hog ring pliers. They come with about 100 hog rings. $20ish I believe. I bought the straight one to recover one of my front seats.

Comment

It's not complicated. I used these hog rings and these pliers.

One pack of hog rings did my entire interior but get two packs just to be safe.

You will figure out which method works for you. Just use your head and think about what will be most secure. That's it.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

There are different sizes. You want 3/4" automotive grade hog rings.

Comment

I've used rings from ace

I've used rings (auto grade -?) that came with my $20 pliers and also used bronze colored hog rings picked up at Ace Hardware with the same pliers. Both worked well.

Comment

Thanks that's what I was looking for. Got some matching front seats now so time to put on the rear covers and slap em in.

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                There are different sizes. You want 3/4" automotive grade hog rings.

Comment

I got the OEM hog rings from BMW so I should have what I need to do it. Is there a process to getting it on nice and tight? Like do I put on just the corners then work in a x pattern back and forth. I've never used hog rings before so don't know if they are squeezed into one size or if you have to squeeze them to just the appropriate tension

Comment

I got the OEM hog rings from BMW so I should have what I need to do it. Is there a process to getting it on nice and tight? Like do I put on just the corners then work in a x pattern back and forth. I've never used hog rings before so don't know if they are squeezed into one size or if you have to squeeze them to just the appropriate tension
                    Jefferson Bryant from RedDirtRodz.com shows how to install a reproduction seat cover on a 1969 Buick Skylark. The seat cover is from Original Parts Group Inc...

Start by first attaching the sections that pull the material into the curves on the mid-section of top and bottom seat foams. (If you're doing the rear seat). I used two hog rings attached to each other for this.

Then start in the middle and work your way out. Heat gun on low setting is your friend here. Be careful!

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the tips and the link.

Comment

I've always just used zip ties. Have done numerous vehicles without issue over 20+ years.

Comment

Umm, yeah but this is an e30 m3 we're talking about so don't think zip ties will do. I looked into a shop doing it and they were talking bout a couple hundred dollars so going to do it myself but reading up a little to make sure I do it right. I'm also searching about ways to possibly soften the old leather on the natur covers I'm pulling off to see if I can also sew the top splits back together before I pull it off.

Comment

I used the Eastwood hog rings and pliers, both straight and curved pliers. Only used the curve a few times but having both came in handy. Buy yourself a good pair of cutters to cut the old hog rings. Also, patience, patience, patience on the first seat. Its not hard like rocket science, but it is tough on your hands and wrists. Have a few band-aids handy. Also, take a lot of pictures of the seats before you start. Try to keep your hands as clean as possible on the installation.
                            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Umm, yeah but this is an e30 m3 we're talking about so don't think zip ties will do.
                              So? No one sees it, gets the job done?
                              1997 Artic Silver M3
                              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Working...
                              X