Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon fiber interior trim

What's up everyone,

So I had some extra time this week and decided to use up the rest of my carbon fiber materials to make a center console trim. I didn't actually want to make an entire console out of it, I just wanted a piece to slide over it that fit seamless and would give a more updated look to the interior. Without having a vacuum bagging set up there are a few flaws but overall I think it turned out pretty nice.

Next step is to finish trimming, place some rubber edging on it, and install. After that I want to make one for the forward part of the console.

Also, I order vacuum bag materials so if anyone would be interested in me making one of these for them let me know.

Here's the pictures of my progress thus far--> http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/na...?sort=3&page=1
    Last edited by natealb892; 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM. Reason: picture links

If you put a layer of lightweight carbon veil down behind the surface layer it will make some of the gaps in the weave less visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      If you put a layer of lightweight carbon veil down behind the surface layer it will make some of the gaps in the weave less visible.
      Thats the plan, I only had enough for one layer, with a couple small pieces left over to reinforce it. On some of the sharper corners the weave split. Also, the way I placed up the outer layer will be changed slightly. I actually layed it across the handbrake cutout which is pointless since the boot covers that part and I cut it out. not covering that bottom portion should fix the majority of problems I had in that area.

Anything I sell I will make sure the outer weave is perfect. The only thing worse than fake carbon vinyl wrap is a poorly executed lay up.

Other than that, I put it back on and installed it in my car, it fits perfectly

Comment

I would love that in my car. And like delete the rear ashtray.
        88 d21 draggin pavement
        89 dirty30 kissin earth

Im just here to learn new things and meet new people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bggdnssnguy View Post
          I would love that in my car. And like delete the rear ashtray.
          Well if a couple people are interested I could make some for pretty cheap. I'm not out to make any money just enough to cover the costs to make them.

Right now I just made a cover that slides over the existing console so the ashtray actually goes back into the piece and is still functional. I could probably make a small cup thing that would fill the void of the ashtray if thats what you're suggesting.

We could always repurpose the area and put a cigarette lighter outlet or USB port, that would get way more use in my car than an ashtray lol

Comment

Yeah a cup holder would be awesome. Cause I need one and a husco is hella expensive.
            88 d21 draggin pavement
            89 dirty30 kissin earth

Im just here to learn new things and meet new people.

Comment

Working...
            X