can't choose between guages....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't choose between guages....help!

Ok I've decided to purchased some gauges for my car, I only want oil temp, and oil pressure right now. But I'm having a hard time deciding between 2 different brands, the First is the VDO vision(very pop. among the e30 crowd)

I like the price of these, but instead of trying to read a needle having a digital gauge is very tempting. I found these that I really like, that are made by cyberdyne

The thing I most like about them is the fact that they have a user set able low pressure or high temp warning, and an optional memory recall function. For both gauges and the sending units etc.. it would cost $35 more to get the digital versus the analog VDO ones. Both gauges will match the interior lights but I can't decide if I want digital or analog. I don't know maybe it's the price tag as to get the gauge holders, adapters, sending units, etc.. it's going to be close to $200
    Any one have any suggestions?
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Especially as to oil pressure, the ability to set a warning is a nice feature.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Doesn't someone make an "analog style" digital meter?

I thought it was Cyberdyne, but I dunno.

I just did a set of Dakota Digitals in a '68 Camaro. I cannot recommend them at all, for useability sake. I don't think I ever want to be told the percentage of gas left in my tank.

On the other hand, voltage, water temp and oil pressure might not be too bad in digital readout.

Those VDO sure look "austere". R3V style if there ever was one.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

ya the warning feature is what I really like about them, for the pressure gauge you can set it where ever and the gauge will flash, and the temp gauge you can set a temp warning so if it gets too hot it will go off. I may just bite the bullet and get the nicer more expensive ones to begin with. As trying to read the needle while out on the track may not be the easiest thing to do, at Road Atlanta the only point I had time to check any of the gauges was on the back stretch.

Comment

Depends from where you put them. To me, anolog looks classier, digital is more for wrx crowd. Warning is a neat thing if the apparatus is not in your view zone.
          '96 328is
          '97 m3
          '04 zhp

Comment

I was going to buy a pillar mount for them, there isn't anywhere else to stick them where they can easily be viewable

Comment

THe digital gauges are anus...i am a big fan of the VDO Vision

IF you don't care about looks and mix with stock interior, go digital.

Comment

Just a quick question... wouldnt the digital ones be more accurate than a Mechanical gauge ?

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
                  I was going to buy a pillar mount for them, there isn't anywhere else to stick them where they can easily be viewable
                  Steering column works for me. I can only fit 2 gauges there though. (without obstructing gauges in the instrument cluster)
                  Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                  EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                  FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                  NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                  Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                  ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I had digital gauges before I had to return them to Summit racing because LED was not working properly..my 2 cents

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
                    I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
                    "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

Working...
                    X