Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED idea

Alright, so dont kill me for this, lol.

I have a 91 318i sittin in my garage awaiting new brake lines and what nots, but Im not going to fix it for a while, annnnd Im kinda of a modaholic. So I had some amber LED's laying around and Im placing them subtly around the cabin for a little bit of ambient lighting.
    Now, the amber LED's are good, but I also have a couple of white super-LED's that I wanted to do somethin with. So I was thinking about where I can put this and have them be useful, because these things are f'in BRIGHT... then I thought, "well, theres no real dome/map light in the car... why not just put em in the overhead and switch em to shine down and light up the cabin when I need it!?"

What do you guys think? A white LED on either side of the overhead (where the little diag. computer thing is), aimed at either front seat and one of the three switches I put in the center console will control it like a dome light.

If anybodys curious as to what LED's im using and switches, etc. I get them from my friends at www.oznium.com

Why not replace the lights in the side overhead lights with the white LEDs? I know it would take a little wiring, but brightening those up to make them useful would be cool.
    sigpic

Comment

Or get a maplight mirror and tweaking with that :P

Comment

I thought about replacing the side mounted lights with the LED's, it wouldnt be hard to wire as there's already a pos/neg wire in that location for the existing light... but even still, it doesn't shine too much in the front, it's more directed to the back (I dont know if 2 doors and 4 doors are angled differently, but mines 4 door).
        And an OEM maplight costs money, whereas I already have these LED's laying around, and even if I didnt, there only like 2 dollars.
        Although a maplight retrofitted with LED's would be nice and bright.

Comment

do, then post pics :)
          I'm planning on a total led conversion including the dash and some ambients in the footwells, door handles, and ignition area.
          I'm still trying to decide between white or amber for that.. for maplights i think i'll get the mirror with lights. the vert doesn't leave much other option.. it's idea of a dome light is pretty worthless.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

i would only be impressed if you used voltage regulators to control the voltage instead of resistors to bring the voltage down

Comment

Why not add LEDs to the stock mirror?

WTF, it would not be that tough, and it would be cool as shit.

Underdash lighting is nice, too.

I want to put LEDs in my door handles so people will stop funbling to find them.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                i would only be impressed if you used voltage regulators to control the voltage instead of resistors to bring the voltage down
                I would but I have the prewired LED's with resistors already soldered on. Eh, they do the trick :D

I've already got three switches wired up in the e-brake console to a point where they look relatively stealth and factory. Also put two LED's to point towards the e-brake so when the consoles back in the car, it will light up the little inlay where the e-brake lies. The first switch will control the LED's, the second will control the white LED dome light thing I was saying, and the third is undecided, probably some flooring lights later down the road. Here's a little teaser. :p

and this pic shows the light pattern of the LED and the color for the most part, the light is against my "autograph" wall, lol, the beam is about 8 in diameter for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Why not add LEDs to the stock mirror?

WTF, it would not be that tough, and it would be cool as shit.
                  I hadn't even thought of that! Ill take a look at it later today to see if there is room in the housing. The wiring would be tough to hide though.

Underdash lighting is nice, too.

I want to put LEDs in my door handles so people will stop funbling to find them.

Luke
                  Yeah I plan on putting them in the door pulls, where they are in the e-brake console, and under the radio bezel in the little coin tray thing above the ash tray. Later down the road, I'll wire some amber cold cathodes under the dash.

Comment

Put them in your cluster where normal bulbs will be. Then you don't have to worry about having to replace one of the bulbs if/when they go out.
                    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                      Put them in your cluster where normal bulbs will be. Then you don't have to worry about having to replace one of the bulbs if/when they go out.
                      good idea, it will also ensure that all the lights in the car will match! :p I knew you guys would have some good ideas! Anybody know how many bulbs are in the cluster? I have like 5 ambers left, I could do that.

Comment

there are 2 that light up the main guages and then theres a bunch that are there for the lights (check engine, check, abs etc)
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

nothing wrong with using resistors to dorp the voltage.. although i was considering making a pwm regulator for the dimmer control. you get a lot more of a linear range than with a resistive style and it isn't too difficult to hack one together.
                          i almost considered putting blue or an adjustable RGB array for the two cluster lights but since it's internally tinted amber I don't think the blues and greens would look any good. when I get it pulled apart then I'll see how it looks just for kicks.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                            i almost considered putting blue or an adjustable RGB array for the two cluster lights but since it's internally tinted amber I don't think the blues and greens would look any good. when I get it pulled apart then I'll see how it looks just for kicks.
                            make sure u post ur findings, im interested in that as well, not for my car but maybe as a mass producing kinda thing I could sell.

Comment

Post some pics
                              sigpic
                              WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Working...
                              X