Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im looking to paint my dashboard on my e30 and need to know whats a good product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im looking to paint my dashboard on my e30 and need to know whats a good product

has anyone painted there dashboard? if so what product did you use because im looking to paint my dash tan to match the rest of the interior
    Attached Files

Don't do it....but use vinyl dye....
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

dont do it, everyone will hate you

Comment

If you do paint it like that, you'll have a glare on the windshield

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

how will i have glare if im painting is tan? both of my e36's dash is tan

Comment

I like the two tone look of that interior, usually stuff like that comes off as really gaudy. That particular pic turned out though.
            sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
            Current:
            1988 325is S52
            Former:
            2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
            1988 M5
            1996 328is

Comment

I painted the map pockets and door pulls in my car tan to match the new tan leather interior and they look great.

My door pulls were a bit darker than the door cards and the map pockets were much darker than the door cards, so I was concerned about painting a lighter color tan over a darker one but the results were fantastic. However, I can't say if you'll be as successful painting over black.

I bought the product, actually called "dye" but still in a spray can just like paint, from World Upholstery. Here is the link w/FAQs:

First, I thoroughly cleaned all surfaces with a common cleaner (Spray Nine, Simple Green, etc.) then I used their Tri-clean cleaner.

I wore rubber gloves so that I didn't contaminate the surfaces with oil from my skin, but I don't know if you have to or not.

I STRONGLY suggest that you paint something you plan to throw away before working on the real piece. The dye is VERY thin - about the consistency of water - so you really have to apply it in light coats.

As for coverage, I applied it to both map pockets and both door pulls and the can still feels full.

It dries to a flat finish so I can't imagine that you will have any problems with the sun reflecting off of it.

The painting was done a few weeks ago and I haven't driven the car since so I don't know how well the finish will hold up on the door pulls but initially, I'm extremely pleased with the leather/vinyl dye. :D

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X