Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing seat struts

Hi Guys,

I bought some old sports seats with tired struts. I pulled the struts out no problem seeing hey were weak and had them regassed.

Now I am having fun trying to figure out a way to get them back in. They are way to strong to compress by hand, I've tried a G Clamp but got nowhere fast. Has anyone done this before and got some hints?

did you ever figure out how to do this??

Comment

got it:

Comment

I used a largish woodworking clamp with sucess. I have also heard that a big C clamp will work.

Ron

Comment

I ended up using one of these clamps: http://www.irwintools.com.au/xp/index.html

Pretty easy to do just had to be careful not to let one get lose and fly off when it was compressed.

Comment

I reconditioned the sport seats that were in my car..

This is the link where my guidance came from

I don't recall compressing the struts an issue.. take the seats out, disassemble them, clean/lube/replace as needed, and reassemble.

You'll see how they work and understand what's needed as you take them apart - they are not that complicated. (it is a time investment (4-6hrs?), but whatever, your labor is A) Free and B) Satisfying when done.
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

on a related note, (and after reviewing the 'blown shock' article) my passenger seat (less 'mileage/wear than a drivers seat - less likely of having a blown shock?) didn't want to do the vertical adjustment.

When I tore the shit down - it was one of the mechanisms that wasn't functioning - not a 'blown shock' at fault. It just wouldn't 'engage'. It wouldn't 'click' and work. (one can work the mechanisms when free of the shocks - which are easily removed when no tension is on the mechanisms - since they are removed from the seat bottom/back portion) (other mechanisms would operate fine)

I ended up buying one [seat mechanism/hinge] from a dealer. Right when I picked the new one up at the counter - I couldn't get it to 'engage' and function like the others.. the parts guy was nice enough to order another one - and it DID work when I picked that one up.

I can assure you that I had soaked and soaked and bathed and soaked that fuckin mechanism in more PB Blaster, WD-40, silicone grease/spray, oil, etc. than one can shake a stick at - and the fucker never 'corrected' or became operable again. My solution was getting a working replacement mechanism.
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by ron k View Post
                I used a largish woodworking clamp with sucess. I have also heard that a big C clamp will work.

Ron
                Big ass c-clamp is what I used.
                Aaron

Comment

Working...
                X