Show Me Your Aftermarket Seats [vs. Recovering OEM]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Me Your Aftermarket Seats [vs. Recovering OEM]

I’m on the fence between recovering my OEM seats and rear bench, vs. getting something like a set of Corbeau TRS or A4s in black micro-suede. ~$1200 shipped from Flying Brick

E30 front sports and standard rear bench ‘soft touch‘ vinyl covers, $600 shipped from Kevin @ Creative Options

Is it worth it to recover seats that may come apart or fail / fatigue in the near future? That’s a loaded question, but I still want to hear from others who went through a similar process. TIA
    >>> My E30 For Sale <<< ||| My MCoupe For Sale ||| Miscellaneous Items FS ||| *E30* Items FS |||

GTS2 > TRS > Vynil sports > A4
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

If you decide to go w/ Kevin @ Creative Options, you won't be sorry --- I have seen many many pieces of his work, and all of it is spectacular. He is very knowledgeable about his work, and totally focused on putting out a good quality product. He is excellent at what he does.

Corbeau seats, on the other hand, are not great quality. I have owned a pair of them, and will not buy them again, especially not new. In fact, I personally wouldn't run even used ones - I don't trust their build quality with my life. Do you? The fabric is fragile and fades quickly - and they do not impress you with the solid feel of construction that Sparco's or Recaro's do.

I'd go w/ OEM seats, which can be refurbished if you're worried about them - or true good quality aftermarket seats. I certainly wouldn't skimp and waste $1200 on Corbeau's. In fact, for that much, you can go to www.speedwaremotorsports.com and buy Recaro SRD's --- and then have Kevin cover those in stock BMW cloth :D

Comment

GTS2 for same money doesn’t have harness holes, which I plan to do some DEs in this vehicle [sorry, should have spec’d that]

I think I’d trust my life in a new Corbeau vs. a 17 year old fatigued OEM seat; i.e. I don’t think you can refurbish a 17 year old seat frame structure

My math was wrong:

2 Corbeau TRSs in black microsuede + brackets = 916 + shipping
        2 Recaro SRDs in plain black cloth = 1200 + brackets* + shipping

Absolutely, safety is a consideration, but it’s kind of a ‘warm and fuzzy’ assessment, you know? Its not like a water pump you can crack open and see a shitty impeller component. I do appreciate your assessment.

*I've sent them an email asking for a quote on bracket cost
        >>> My E30 For Sale <<< ||| My MCoupe For Sale ||| Miscellaneous Items FS ||| *E30* Items FS |||

Comment

The SRDs support you better than TRS IMHO. The SRDs are MUCH more comfortable. The TRS are very hard when they are new until they get worn in. Every SRD I have sat in has been unbelievably comfy.
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Dex.e30 View Post
            I think I’d trust my life in a new Corbeau vs. a 17 year old fatigued OEM seat; i.e. I don’t think you can refurbish a 17 year old seat frame structure

1) Obviously you haven't spent much time in a Corbeau. Go see some in a store somewhere. Maybe find someone who's got one, even if it's not in an E30, and try it out. They're absolute shit.

2) You can, in fact, refurbish 17-year-old seats. People refurbish old American muscle to like-new/better-than-new condition, after 30+ years of wear, tear, and exposure. If you take your seats apart, down to the frames, you'll be able to have a good look at the skeletons and see how they're holding up. You can weld triangulating braces into place, tighten up the mechanisms, etc. The foam is replaceable. The cloth / leather is replaceable. If you put in the effort, you can make them pretty.

There -are- good aftermarket seats out there. I personally just don't care for Corbeau's, not for regular street use, or any high-speed driving on a road course, etc. If you're going to go w/ aftermarket seats, pony up the extra $$ and get some good ones. I recommend Cobra, Sparco, Recaro, and so on.

Comment

1. You're right, I haven't, why I'm asking here. ;)

2. Not that interested in refurbishing to that degree; I'm not in love that much with the sports, or welding stock seat skeletons; there's no telling the ramifications of welding on a seat frame and how it would react in an accident. <--- OT

Cool. Again, why I'm asking the BTDT crowd.

Comment

1. You're right, I haven't, why I'm asking here. ;)

2. Not that interested in refurbishing to that degree; I'm not in love that much with the sports, or welding stock seat skeletons; there's no telling the ramifications of welding on a seat frame and how it would react in an accident. <--- OT

Cool. Again, why I'm asking the BTDT crowd.
                Scott,
                I was just surfing and came across your post. AJ thank for the plug, tried calling you earlier but no answer. Give me a call later. Scott back to your question. The BMW seats are well made I have actually welded the supports back as I have refurbed them. I agree with the corbeaus, not that great quality. I would also look at MOMO's as well as others AJ mentioned.
                Kevin

www.seatkit.com New Site first week of April 2011
                Your DIY upholstery source
                e30tech forum sponsor
                E46 uphosltery kits coming soon..........
                kchinn@creativeoptions.info

Comment

I think you all are correct. Even though this is my DD, and with a smaller budget than the 'fun car', I may need to invest in something like Recaro or Cobra or Sparco

Hey Kevin. I'm still heavily considering the set we emailed about earlier. I want to closely inspect my spare seats when I get some today. That'll likely help me decide.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Comment

I think you all are correct. Even though this is my DD, and with a smaller budget than the 'fun car', I may need to invest in something like Recaro or Cobra or Sparco

Hey Kevin. I'm still heavily considering the set we emailed about earlier. I want to closely inspect my spare seats when I get some today. That'll likely help me decide.

Thanks all for the feedback.
                    Hey man no worries do what is best for you. If you go new fronts I can make you rear kit to match if you want.
                    Kevin

e30tech forum sponsor

Comment

I sat in my spare seats tonight, and I am pretty sure I will simply recover them. They are in pretty good shape, and oddly, more comfortable than the seats that are installed now.

What say you? Black interior, Silver exterior, and Cardinal seating, or, just Black seating. Kevin, do you have Cardinal in the vinyl?

Comment

I sat in my spare seats tonight, and I am pretty sure I will simply recover them. They are in pretty good shape, and oddly, more comfortable than the seats that are installed now.

What say you? Black interior, Silver exterior, and Cardinal seating, or, just Black seating. Kevin, do you have Cardinal in the vinyl?
                        Scott,
                        Replied to your email.
                        Kevin

e30tech forum sponsor

Comment

Working...
                        X