Rear view mirror install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear view mirror install?

Rear view mirror install , I can't seem to put my new one back on for the life of me I fell like i'm gonna punch hole threw the window if I try any harder

Also how do you pull the sunroof knob off I gave it hell and it did not budge I have a brand new one to put on

Comment

FWIW, on my car I had to use a screwdriver to push the locking pin in slightly so I could get it out and again to put it back in. Took a fair amount of force.

On my parts car, some PO somewhere had used JB Weld to secure the stalk in the roof - it would have required cutting to remove.
      John in MD - 1991 318is
      190k miles and still rolling!

Comment

do it liek this

this is the way, its seem wierd may just be your application of force.

- so you have to do this.

hold one hand on the extension, near the top, wedge one side in first, then push on the stalk and push in from the front with your thumb or wedge it in with a chizel or somethign with an edge. .

Comment

I gave it hell , I need to get someone to do this for me

Comment

Sweet baby jesus I got it in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How'd you do it? Mine shakes like nuts, I have to figure whats wrong with it...
              Reminiscing...

Comment

shakes?

what do ya mean it shakes? it should have the mount in the back? at least the lighted one does. If you dont have one get the lighted one. Its so much a fuller mirror

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                  How'd you do it? Mine shakes like nuts, I have to figure whats wrong with it...
                  The metal piece that is welded to the roof is probably broken Dan, which is just what i've done :crazy:

Also, how the hell do you get the actual mirror onto the stalk if the stalk is already in the roof? I'm going insane here.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Bump to this thread. Here is my plea:

Hey guys,

I'm at a loss here. My 325i never came with a rear view mirror. I found out that the rear view mirror trim, where the OBC is located, requires a base plate.

So I bought a base plate but several issues:

1. I can't get the rear view mirror to shove through the opening of the base plate.

2. There's no way the base plate will stay onto the chassis. Is there a part I can buy?

I got this diagram on RealOEM.com. Any help/leads appreciated. Thanks

Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes
                    01 Interior rear-view mirror 1 51161817121 $111.04
                    ONLY APPLIES TO READING LIGHT
                    04 Interior rear-view mirror 1 51161906525 $180.79
                    05 Reading light, left 1 63311380153 $58.31
                    06 Reading light, right 1 63311380154 $58.31
                    07 BULB 12V 10W 1 63311375003 $18.97
                    08 Base plate 1 51161801085 $5.41
                    09 Cover 1 51441900133 $3.29
                    1989 E30 BMW 325i
                    1998 E36 BMW M3
                    2004 E46 BMW 325i

Comment

I ripped my base plate off when I installed my maplight mirror. I drilled out the two rivets on the side and used sheet metal screws. So far so good.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                      '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                      '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                      '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                        this is the way, its seem wierd may just be your application of force.

- so you have to do this.

hold one hand on the extension, near the top, wedge one side in first, then push on the stalk and push in from the front with your thumb or wedge it in with a chizel or somethign with an edge. .
                        I used this method--one side wedged in, then used a long screwdriver to push in on the spring-loaded peg. It almost went in that way, but then used a long extension and hammer and tapped it in the rest of the way. It is extremely tight.

Comment

Working...
                        X