No announcement yet.

MkII GTi Recaros in an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is really showing a lot of great DIY info. Keep it up Mr.Anderson.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Comment

i am going to try and get some scrap aluminum this weekend and make new bases for my seats since they both have torn suspension until i can fix it right.

BTW they are more comfortable with the webbing supporting the foam than a solid piece of wood. if you use a construction sign, there is some flex to it so it is almost the same and it wont raise the seat bottom up to where you are not held in by the bolsters as well
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Did most of the big shaping of the foam just a little while ago, even got a free brand new turkey carver from the mother in law! :D

Gonna have to add some more foam in a few places, and I took off a little bit too much in one spot, but that's the awesome thing about doing it this way, I can just stick on more if I mess it up. And I'll tell you, there's something very satisfying about doing this kind of thing yourself.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

I just realized that second pic looks like a big oatmeal cream pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
              I just realized that second pic looks like a big oatmeal cream pie.
              lulz

By the way I got some dough so I can finally get that stupid piece from the UK...sorry Josh I'm not as talented, and I would never be happy with my finished product. And knowing me I'd accidentally torch my seat or something stupid.

All you need to know is that soon I will have my seats in!
              Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                lulz

By the way I got some dough so I can finally get that stupid piece from the UK...sorry Josh I'm not as talented, and I would never be happy with my finished product. And knowing me I'd accidentally torch my seat or something stupid.

All you need to know is that soon I will have my seats in!
                That's awesome. If I had the money, I'd probably do the same. Besides, Maybe I still will one of these days, I just wanted to see if I could actually do this myself. So far it's only cost me about $25, so it's good so far!

Besides, the guy at the upholstery shop told me the replacement bolsters are made from the exact same stuff I'm using, they're just injection molded instead of being shaped.

Comment

I believe all the foam work is done. Here's the 2 bolsters side by side, looks like I got them pretty close:

Comment

nice work!
                    now go find some aluminum construction signs and make replacement bottoms

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet. I don't really want to do the plywood thing anymore.

Comment

i did something with seat belt webbing (you can buy it a upholstery stores) for the drivers seat when i had them redone.

i was missing the "rods" that go on the sides and secure the netting to the frame. i worked pretty well, but it was a PAIN to make. the only bad part was i need to use some stronger rods on the sides because they keep coming loose.

it kind of ends up looking like a window net for you race car.
                        there is a LOT of sewing involved and you need a actual upholstery sewing machine to do it because the webbing is so thick.

can you understand what i did by my description?

Comment

i wasn't being condescending by that BTW.

you really should try to sand or smooth out the foam before you apply the felt covering too. the smoother it is before, the smoother it will look with the cover on it

Comment

Yeah, I got what you meant. Tricked325i said he would make me a pair of them, since I only have one of the original ones, I was going to send it to him to use as a template. But I don't have the cash right now to have them made. Then again, I'm not driving the car anymore this season, anyway. So maybe I'll just wait and do that.

And I am going to try and get the foam a little smoother before I put the felt on, I just don't have a DA, might have to see what my father in law has.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                              you need a actual upholstery sewing machine to do it because the webbing is so thick.
                              Not true. I've sewn LOTS of webbing with your standard run-of-the-mill sewing machine. The key is to get good thread. I generally use #69 nylon thread. Can't break the stuff with your bare hands.

Comment

that is what my friend who did the upholstery told me. you're his brother in law right?
                                hook him up! bust out your sewing machine and get some webbing.

i just went to the depot and bought steel rods to go through the sides of my "fix it". that should make it stay in place and i will be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X