No announcement yet.

MkII GTi Recaros in an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock e30 sliders bolted to the brackets, then the brackets bolted to the Recaros. Same thing Brad (sumyungguy) did as shown on post #18.

Comment

I don't have sport seats.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
        I don't have sport seats.
        I'm pretty sure the sliders and mounting brackets are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
          I'm pretty sure the sliders and mounting brackets are the same.
          Really? I couldn't see how to remove the sliders or brackets from the OEM seat? Looked like I'd have to cut it.
          Last edited by Nicademus; 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
          ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
            Really? I could see how to remove the sliders or brackets from the OEM seat? Looked like I'd have to cut it.
            Nope, it's all held together with bolts and clips, we got it apart in like 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
              Nope, it's all held together with bolts and clips, we got it apart in like 5 minutes.
              I'm going to take another look.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

We worked on them some more tonight. Josh has some pictures.

What I wanted to say was we had to modify the design a little, adding in some spacers. I changed the picture and the PDF that I posted in my previous post to show what we did.

Comment

Indeed I do have the pics! And here they be...

We fucked up the location of the first set of holes, that's why there's 2 sets...

All 4 plates with the correct holes drilled:

The large and small steel bolt carrier tubes:

All 4 steel bolt carrier tubes. One large and one small for each plate:

This pic shows the snag we ran into. The tubes fit fine into the mounting brackets, but there was a gap of about 1/4" in the front, and a about a 3/8" gap in the rear between the tube and where it would attach to the plate. So we had to cut up some spacers to fill the gap between the tube and the plate.

Spacers for the rear, 2 pieces of 1/4" steel flat stock:

Shown with the tube in the rear part of the bracket:

Spacer for the front, 1 piece of 1/4" flat:

Mock up of the adapter plate with the spacers and carrier tubes tacked quickly into place for test fitting:

And the adapter plate test fitted into the stock E30 bracket:

This shows a little more clearly the issue we had, which required using spacers:

And in the front:

Comment

I think I might go this route. I got my drivers seats in today with the brackets I made, but the sliders that came on my Recaro's have the level kinda on the left front side and I can tell passengers will never be able to find it. Now that you've figured out the measurements I'm sure I shouldn't have trouble getting this done. :) Thanks

~ John Adams ~

Comment

I was wondering what the purpose of keeping the factory slider mounting points was. Seems like it would have required less fab work to just cut and grind down the factory mounts and start from a clean flat surface. Not to mention the extra inch of headroom needed for helmet clearance.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

It could have been done that way, but this is simple with no need to modify the stock sliders. And height isn't a factor as the plate that bolts to the seat would have to be raised up to allow clearance for the bolt heads anyway (not to mention putting the bolts though the holes in the first place).

Comment

I think i'll try patially mounting the plate 1st with it almost bolted in, then welding on to the sliders, then torquing the bolts in with a wrench. Height is a big concern for me.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

you can also use the factory 911 seat mounts, then flip them upside down, and weld them to the factory E-30 mounts. they will slip inside of the mounting ears. then just re-use the bar that spans the 2 sides.
                            you will end up with 2 sets of sliders. the factory BMW and the Porsche ones.

that is what i did. i am 6'. it will also give you and "in between" adjustment front and rear.
                            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Comment

Have fun finding a spare pair of factory 911 seat mounts.

Comment

actually, i talked to my old roommate last night (we used to work at the Porsche shop together) and you could use:
                                924 seat mounts (junk car worth $0, easy to find in a wrecking yard)
                                944 seat mounts (not worth much and get totaled really easily by insurance)
                                911 up to 86 i think (these seats were made by Recaro for Porsche)

none of these should be that hard to find

also if you get lucky some of the 924s came with Recaros identical to the E-21 Recaros

just giving some options to those without the skills or access to tools to make them from scratch
                                Last edited by der affe; 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM.
                                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Comment

Working...
                                X