Dash cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash cracking

my dash has an 1/8" crack starting right above the glove box at the leftmost corner towards the seat on that indentation on the top of the dash

is there anything i can put on there to prevent it from cracking more? or should I just start shopping for a new dash
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

wow, i have a huge crack about 6 inchs long in that exact spot. i dont know how to fix it but im warning u not to let it get outa hand!
    98 M3/4/5

Comment

Some people drill a hole at the start and end of the crack. It has to be a perfect circular hole. It prevents it from spreading. I had a perfect straight line crack on an old e30. It was so perfect you'd think it was normal..

Comment

No need to drill holes. jeez

I used "Black Silicone, Ahesive Sealant" it works like a charm and better yet it somewhat hides the crack just spread this silicone along the line of the crack so it can fill it in and then smooth it out and your dash will look new again

You can find this black silicone at your local hardware store and the brand is "Permatex" its comes in a metalish tube with a long somewhat skinny plastic tip

goodluck.

-Ryan
        I used this on my old dash and my new dash

Comment

Originally posted by Super Eta
          No need to drill holes. jeez

I used "Black Silicone, Ahesive Sealant" it works like a charm and better yet it somewhat hides the crack just spread this silicone along the line of the crack so it can fill it in and then smooth it out and your dash will look new again

You can find this black silicone at your local hardware store and the brand is "Permatex" its comes in a metalish tube with a long somewhat skinny plastic tip

goodluck.

-Ryan
          I used this on my old dash and my new dash
          thanks, I'll go do that. i used a clear silicone when one of my subs got a small tear in the cone
          Originally posted by blunt
          can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

If you're going to seal it why not drill the holes ?? The purpose of drilling the holes (mind you these are tiny holes) is to prevent the crack from spreading. It will only take a little effort .....

Comment

I drilled a hole at each end of a 1/2" crack like two years ago. It only took a couple months to get past those, and now it's working on a couple inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
                I drilled a hole at each end of a 1/2" crack like two years ago. It only took a couple months to get past those, and now it's working on a couple inches.
                Myabe you didn't do it right? I had looked this up when I had the crack and just did another search, that's the only option I see to prevent the crack from spreading.

Comment

Arik, you are correct. Radiusing a hole will even the stress out on the crack. So it spreads out in 360 degrees and stops there. It is a commonly used tool in aircraft world and racing world where cracks happen in plastics and sheet metal.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
                    Myabe you didn't do it right? I had looked this up when I had the crack and just did another search, that's the only option I see to prevent the crack from spreading.
                    Haha I wasn't aware drilling was rocket science. I dunno man, look at my dash - you'll see a crack with two holes in it.

Comment

Haha I wasn't aware drilling was rocket science. I dunno man, look at my dash - you'll see a crack with two holes in it.
                      if you didn't drill past the crack, it will continue to grow. i would guess this is your problem, as i think it is hard to judge the precise end of the crack on a black dashboard.

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe
                        if you didn't drill past the crack, it will continue to grow. i would guess this is your problem, as i think it is hard to judge the precise end of the crack on a black dashboard.
                        Yeah, that's a possibility. I drilled at the point where I could hardly make out the crack, but ya never know. I don't really care that much anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X