How are door skins attached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are door skins attached

The door skins on my cabrio stick out 1/16" at the top on both doors. How do the door skins attach, I am considering removing them and refitting them.

07 335xi Sport
    00 S2k
    01 A4 1.8t-Sold
    88 M3-Sold
    91 325iC-Totaled
    89 325iS - Sold
    87 325-Totaled

Ha, 1/16" is so tiny.

Three screws in the armrest (two obvious holes and one behind the mirror switch location). Then there are clips around the bottom and two sides (just pull away from the door), and then you just pull up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
      Ha, 1/16" is so tiny.

Three screws in the armrest (two obvious holes and one behind the mirror switch location). Then there are clips around the bottom and two sides (just pull away from the door), and then you just pull up on it.
      I said door skin, the metal on the outside, not the door panel. I guess is really more like 3/16, not 1/16

07 335xi Sport
      00 S2k
      01 A4 1.8t-Sold
      88 M3-Sold
      91 325iC-Totaled
      89 325iS - Sold
      87 325-Totaled

Comment

I would have thought door skin meant the door panel as well. Are you talking about door/window trim?

Comment

LOL, a door skin is the outside layer of the door. Basically in an accident if you dent your door, you could replace the door skin and not the whole door. Now you knwo what a door skin is?

Comment

Its held on with tack welds, OR adheasive. You can see the bead of adheasive around the inside jam edge of the door.

But in all seriousness you cannot remove the skin without seriously fucking up the paint in the jam AND on the outside.

Maybe your doors just need to be rehung? You can likely dial out the issue you have by getting them rehung.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Working...
            X