Cracked Dash Kintsugi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Dash Kintsugi

Hey there. So I've got a cracked dash, which is obviously very common - but instead of replacing it, I was thinking of trying to replicate the Japanese art of kintsugi. Basically kintsugi is putting broken pottery back together using laquer with gold, silver, or platinum. I was thinking it'd be kind of a unique look for the dash rather than just a straightforward replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what kind of materials might work best for this? Thanks!

I think you'll struggle with adhesion and differential expansion, but it's an idea I've never heard before, so I think you might as well try.

Comment

Cool idea. Own it instead of trying to hide it.

Might want to look at silicone caulking type material. It’s available in colors and outdoor formulations which should help it hold up under all that UV exposure. Hard part will be getting it smooth and nicely bonded without globby overflows.
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
      Palm Beach County

Comment

There is a post out there someplace where a guy filled the top coin depressions, filled the cracks, then covered the dash with fiberglass. Then painted with a texture finish. Looked reasonable. I would have to go dig for it, not sure how well it held up. But it would be great if someone came up with an effective method to repair these dashboards.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
        X