Fixing the Sun Visor Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing the Sun Visor Panel

My panel, where the sun visors mount, is worse for wear - the vinyl has de-laminated in a few places, and today I was replacing the rear view and ripped the backing (when people said pull the mirror hard, I pulled a little too hard). Has anyone messed around with trying to fix these? I'm thinking some kind of fiberglass patch kit and some contact cement should do the trick, but what is that backer made of? It looks like some terrible kind of cardboard...

Normally, I'd try to find a new one, but they're NLA, and on top of that, this is a slick top, so I can't imagine there are a million of these panels floating around.
    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

I had some cracks in my sun visor panel (officially called "Front Headlining Cover"). I pulled the vinyl cover off and repaired the cracks with regular epoxy. I then reinforced the repair with aluminum tape on both sides.

I bought a leather cover from a vendor on eBay (J-F Customs) and applied it with adhesive spray. Turned out pretty well. The wrinkles in this pic evened out after a week or two.

Comment

top man !

Comment

How do you take those off without a sunroof? I just replaced mine, had to open the sunroof to access the screws holding it in from the top.
        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
        1991 318is - Sold
        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

This is pretty cool... something I've been wondering about for a while since the vinyl on mine is shrinking and pulling away from the backing. Found the listing for the leather cover you used--- a bit more expensive than I had figured! Whoops! I think I'm going to try re-doing mine with a marine vinyl or something that looks more stock and might be more resiliant to sunlight up in the corners where the mirror goes. Any pro-tips for getting the panel out? Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
          X