Removing Paint from Tail Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Paint from Tail Lights

I just did the all red tail light mod, and I like the result of Candy Apple Red. However, the paint doesn't look right at certain lights (street lights at night make them look amber), and I'd like something darker and more uniform. I want to try out some Metal Flake, but how can I go about removing the old paint safely? Is this possible, or am I SOL?

It's about 3 coats of base and a single coat of clear.
    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Paint thinner, acetone, or some other solvent. Just don't let it sit on the lights or it'll start to dissolve the plastic.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

if the paint is still fresh, i've had good luck just using plastic prep spray to remove the paint (won't harm plastic obviously)

Avoid any automotive paint strippers, it will eat right through plastic.

I found a specific paint remover for urethane.. and it says it's ok for plastic but when i used it, it started to eat away at it. You have to leave it on for a very short time. Head down to your local auto paint supplly store to find it.
      Chris
      90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

You messed up didn't you Morgan? :P

Take a picture of the results, let us be the judge if its not "uniform".

Besides I wanna see it on a diamantschwarz car. I think I've wrote that word (diamantschwarz) so many times, but just recently started writing it correctly...

Anyways take pics!
        Reminiscing...

Comment

Working...
        X