Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever try putting H1 bulbs in US ellips? pointless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever try putting H1 bulbs in US ellips? pointless?

Just a thought here guys, no flaming necessary if there is something glaringly obvious that I'm missing. Since it appears that the only difference between the euro and us ellips is the cutoff pattern, would it be possible/advantageous to try fitting H1 bulbs into US ellips? Everyone seems to agree that Euro ellips are better, but the bulb seems to be the only true difference. Anyone know why they use a different bulb? Obviously you would have to modify the bulb plugs to fit. I know I've seen Euro ellips without the smiliey cutout also. They were basically US ellips with a city light and different cutoff pattern. I think they came on an Evo but not sure. Just trying to think outside the box...
    -Kevin

The cutoff pattern is not in the bulb, it's in the light housing. The bulb is not the major difference in the lights, although it may seem that way on the outside.

Comment

Yeah I know the cutoff pattern is different because its inside the lenses, but why do the Euro ones require a different bulb when essentially the only difference is how much light is blocked by the cutoff shielding?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
        Yeah I know the cutoff pattern is different because its inside the lenses, but why do the Euro ones require a different bulb when essentially the only difference is how much light is blocked by the cutoff shielding?
        the bases are not the same, so trying to put and H1 in a 9006 may work, but more likey, the beam will be way off due to filament placement.

Anything is doable (i put 9004 HID bulbs in an H4 assembly and made it work with HEAVY mods), but like i said, it may not be easy.

You're right about the minor differences. But why would you want an H1 in a 9006 assembly?

The only REAL difference in the bulbs are the ablity to change wattages with the H1. I would just mod the 9005 plug to fit the 9006 and call it a day.
        Nick

87 325 5MT
        02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Working...
        X