Brake/License plate lights issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake/License plate lights issue

I have an intermittent issue where sometimes the brake light and license plate bulb warning lights come on in the overhead OBC panel. The brake lights are actually out when this happens cause I confirmed myself. It's hard to pinpoint what may be causing it as it seems to fix itself.

Is this common? I checked the fuses (which seem fine) but what else can I check?

TIA
    1990 BMW 325is 5spd - Brilliantrot
    M52 - Scorpion exhaust - GAZ Coilovers

Ground wiring, a loose ground will send the check relay over the edge.

Also, helps to bend all bulb contacts in towards the bulbs making for better electrical contact. Just proceed carefully for the first few, then you'll get the hang of it.

Also, as usual, check for bulbs with brass base, silver colored nickel should be used only.

Also, it can't hurt to unplug and reinsert all light-related electrical harness connectors, that alone can clean off any corrosion that may be there.

good luck!
    Andy
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
      Ground wiring, a loose ground will send the check relay over the edge.

Also, helps to bend all bulb contacts in towards the bulbs making for better electrical contact. Just proceed carefully for the first few, then you'll get the hang of it.

Also, as usual, check for bulbs with brass base, silver colored nickel should be used only.

Also, it can't hurt to unplug and reinsert all light-related electrical harness connectors, that alone can clean off any corrosion that may be there.

good luck!
      Andy
      Thanks Andy...I've been driving the car more these days and was able to figure out that it only happens when I use the turnsignals (which all work but blink very fast as if they were out). This all might be due to corrosion so I'm going to give everything a look this weekend.

Thanks!
      1990 BMW 325is 5spd - Brilliantrot
      M52 - Scorpion exhaust - GAZ Coilovers

Comment

Working...
      X